This post-2020 events contains out-of-date information or information about an entity that is currently undergoing major changes.
|List of decades in the MicroWiki community:|
|2000s • 2010s • 2020s|
|History of the MicroWiki community|
The 2020s (pronounced "twenty-twenties", shortened to "the '20s") is the current decade of the Gregorian calendar which began on 1 January 2020 and will end on 31 December 2029. It succeeded the 2010s, and precedes the 2030s. The start marked the fifteenth year since MicroWiki's initial foundation, and by 2029 MicroWiki will be twenty-four years old.
The decade has been primarily shaped by the year 2020, which saw the shutdown of MicroWiki@Discord as being the main hub of micronational activity on social media platform Discord, instead becoming a simple webportal and news aggregator. Many alternative servers were set-up, such as the Micropolitan Club and Lounge which moved to the server Micropolitan@Discord, though most were largely unsuccessful, and countless micronationalists instead moved to private groupchats.
The decade began amidst the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic, which caused huge disruption, and saw delays and cancellations of various social, religious and political events, such as anniversaries, summits, elections and sporting events; bringing in a huge response from the intermicronational community, it led to a number of retired micronationalists returning to the hobby contributing to a massive surge in activity, and encouraged a number of online events, namely the GUM's fourth 24 Hour Quorum which raised £266 for the British Red Cross.
The 2020s concerns:
- 2020 in the MicroWiki community
- 2021 in the MicroWiki community
- Discord Era
- Micronational responses to the COVID-19 pandemic
Currently, MicroWiki has 32,590 articles, 168,259 pages and 41,882 registered users. In early January 2021, MicroWiki migrated the website to a new server provider for better stability, and set up a Patreon; the main page was also redesigned for the first time in several years. In June 2020, a new good article (GA) system was also introduced, where every last week of each month, nominations which have been approved by an administrator either that month or the previous month will be voted on by the community. Furthermore, for April Fools' 2020–an annual tradition on MicroWiki–the language of the entirety of MicroWiki was changed to an unreadable font called Precursor Alpha (hovering over text with a mouse would display it normally), and the MicroWiki logo in the corner was slightly titled sideways for a wacky appearance, and for 2021 large advertisements blocking the view of content popped up on most pages approximately every minute.
Jonathan I, Emperor of Austenasia is the current site owner. Several new patrollers have been appointed to aid administrators with smaller tasks. User:Z Luna Skye (Zed) has remained the most prolific editor, and was the first user to hit 30,000 and 40,000 edits, doing so on 30 July 2020 and 9 March 2021 respectively.
Culture and entertainment
|Dime Micronationalist of the Month||Monthly: January 2019–present||"The most influential micronationalist of the given month"||Micronationalists||Usually public vote||Statistic-Dime|
|Micronationalist of the Year||Annually in December: 2019–present||"The most influential micronationalist of the given year"||Micronationalists||Public vote||Statistic-Dime|
Essexia's Dean Network has been dominating the web series industry, with the 2020 vodcast EssexiaTalk and comedy thriller The United Office: Survival of the Unfittest gaining critical acclaim. Garnering 129 views within its first 24 hours, The United Office: Survival of the Unfittest was widely regarded by many as one of the greatest micronational video works ever produced. Podcasts have been popular during the decade, including MicroRamble which began on 31 March 2020, The Four Horsemen of Micronationalism on 3 January 2021 and The Anthony Show on 21 February 2021.
Memes and in-jokes
Al-Wiki, a popular meme of 2021 thus far
Note: New micronations will be added near the end of the year; the above nine were among the most significant during 2020.
Notable micronationalists of the 2020s thus far have included:
- Jonathan I, Emperor of Austenasia, site owner
- Nicholas Randouler, Posaf, pioneer of the Discord Era; passed away on 3 June 2020
- Thomas Bainbridge, Hrafnarfjall, 30th Chair of the GUM
- Newton von Uberquie, Uber-Esse, 31st Chair of the GUM
- Jack Dean, Essexia, 32nd and current Chair of the GUM
- Dhrubajyoti Roy, Vishwamitra, 2nd Rashtradhyaksh of Vishwamitra and former chair of the Cupertino Alliance
- Matthew of Essexia, 30th Vice-Chair of the GUM
- Jayden Lycon, first Chair of the Cupertino Alliance
- Brooklyn Hewitt, President of the Commonwealth of New Virginia (2020-2021)
- Elizabeth Lewis, Prime Minister of New Virginia (August–18 December 2020)
- Zed Smith, New Eiffel, prolific MicroWiki editor
- History of the MicroWiki Community
- Blackwood, Ives (18 November 2020) MicroWiki@Discord shutdown continues despite user resistance. Home-made Crown Journal. Retrieved 18 November 2020.
- Smith, Zarel (9 October 2020) Adam, Emperor of Adammia, resigns as a MicroWiki@Discord administrator. Ponderosan News Agency.
- COVID-19 Micronation Tracking Sheet
- Clémens, Henry (24 March 2020) Returns, revivals, and activity headline a hectic Spring 2020 in MicroWiki. messenger.com.
- Smith, Zarel (16 Mar 2020). "Quorum, 14th March 2020". GUM News. Retrieved 18 March 2020.
- "Grand Unified Micronational; helping fight COVID" on GoFundMe.
- Alexander (7 May 2020) 24 Hour Quorum – Order of Alexander to be awarded to all those who donated. The Royal Lyteran News.
- Smith, Zarel (14 November 2020) Sertor Valentinus named Dime's Micronationalist of the Month for October. Orblian Observer. Retrieved 14 November 2020.
- Indokistan (12 July 2020) AIM General Assembly Special Session Celebrates AIM 9th Anniversary. Jaringan Berita News Network.
- MicroWiki on Patreon. Retrieved 12 January 2021.
- Main page
- 2020 Micronational April Fool’s Report. Orblian Observer. PDF
- Catherine (3 October 2019) Shiro voted Dime's Micronationalist of the Month. The Micronational Times. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- Cristi (31 August 2019) August 2019’s DIME Micronationalist of the Month announced. Plushunian News Service. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- Z. Smith & J. Lycon (26 December 2019) DIME Magazine Issue #1