Alexander of Sarum
|1st President of Norton
31 July 2023
(since November 2023)
(until November 2023)
|First Secretary of the People's Democratic National Party
2 November 2023
|1st Minister for Propaganda and Media Regulation
2 November 2023
|People's Democratic National Party
|Nortonian People's Army
|Years of service
|Nortonian People's Army
Rafe Hargreaves (born 6 July 2005) is a Nortonian politician who is serving as the President of Norton, having been in this office since the end of the Monarchy. Hargreaves is also the Secretary-General of the People's Democratic National Party of Norton.
Formerly a Nortonian politician and diplomat in the first republic, he served as President of the State of Norton and Leader of the National Conservative Party from July 2021 until the abolition of the republican structure of government in May 2022.
He also maintains an active political life outside of Norton, in a range of micronations. He served as both the Secretary of State for Local Government and the President of the Chamber of Representatives in Roscamistan until August 2022, while also serving as Prime Minister of the Pinangese Republic.
Development of the State of Norton
On 6 July 2021, the State of Norton was established. The nation's first home was on a 1-acre plot of land in the English county of Dorset. Two days after the declaration of independence was signed on 8 July 2021, the nation moved to its current location: a 4-acre plot of land at the bottom of Ham Hill National Park in the picturesque village of Norton Sub Hamdon (the previous site transitioned into the constituent province of Sarum). The first senate election was conducted soon after the state was formed, and the National Conservative Party swept to victory, capturing 8 of the 12 seats (6 seats must be obtained to form a majority government). A week later, the state's first presidential election was held with the National Conservative Party candidate receiving 10 out of the 12 senate votes.
President of the State of Norton
The State of Norton was a multi-party democracy with a presidential republic. Every six years, the President was elected to serve as both the head of state and the head of the executive. According to the constitution, the President can be elected for two consecutive terms, but must thereafter leave office for at least one term (6 years) before running for re-election. He was elected as the first President in July 2021, serving until the abolition of the position in May 2022. The President also served as the Chairman of the Executive and National Cabinets, as well as the Commander-in-Chief of the Nortonian Defence Forces. The President's constitutional obligation is to nominate and remove a Prime Minister who would serve as the country's head of government.
Establishment of the Kingdom of Norton
With the establishment of the monarchy and the founding of the Kingdom of Norton, he acceded to the throne becoming King of the Nortonians. Upon his inauguration on 30 May 2022, He adopted the regnal name "Alexander" - becoming Alexander of Norton. The Kingdom of Norton is a constitutional monarchy in which the monarch serves as the ceremonial Head of State and commander-in-chief of the Royal Nortonian Armed Forces.
Return to State
In July 2023, Hargreaves abdicated the throne of Norton. In the week following, the Estates General abolished the monarchy, and returned to a republic. Hargreaves was elected President of the second republic.
A recurring theme in Norton’s history had been major inactivity. Temporary spikes of activity happened, but not enough to keep the nation afloat.
In October 2023, a poll was conducted, in which people were questioned on a potential Norton-Ostton, to which the majority of respondents said they’d be in favour. Despite being non-binding, President Hargreaves and Chris de Constantin took this as treason. On the 2nd of November, he and de Constantin both launched a successful coup, in which the PNDP announced the abolition of the premiership and banning of all opposition parties. Hargreaves became Secretary-General of the PNDP.
Titles, styles, honours, and arms
Alexander of Sarum
Titles, and styles
- 30 May 2022 – present: His Majesty The King
Places named in his honour
- On 30 May 2022, the Government of Norton renamed the provincial capital of Waldflache to Alexandertown from Metropole-Imperium, to celebrate the transition to a monarchy and the coronation of Alexander I.
- On 19 June 2022, the main building of the Estates General was renamed as Alexander House from Legislature House.
Standards and arms
|Coat of arms as King of Sarum
|Royal cypher as King of Sarum
|Royal Standard as King of Sarum
| Personal banner
(2022 – )
Other national honours
- Grand Cordon of the Most Esteemed Supreme Order of the Hibiscus (DUK) (11 January 2023)
- Grand Cordon of the Most Excellent Royal Vishwamitran Order of Merit (SUVB) – Tan Sri (25 October 2022)
- Recipient of the Royal Service Medal (PRS) (1 August 2022)
- Recipient of the Civil Service Medal (CSP) (1 August 2022)
- Recipient of the Commemorative Medal of the Crystal Jubilee of the Foundation of Vishwamitra (15 April 2022)
- Recipient of the Commemorative Medal of the 21st Birthday of Rashtradhyaksh Varuna Sriraya (11 January 2023)
- Former honours
- Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of the Lotus (15 April – 24 October 2022)
- Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the Vishwamitra (8 June – 24 October 2022)
- Grand Commander of the Most Illustrious Royal Order of the Crown of Vishwamitra (1 August – 24 October 2022)
- State honours
- Grand Knight of the Most Noble Royal Family Order of Purvanchal (DK I) (25 June 2023)
- Grand Commander of the Most Noble Royal Family Order of Purvanchal (DK II) (4 July 2022)
- Grand Companion of the Most Distinguished Order of the Maharaja Varuna Sriraya (DUMD) – Dato Utama (2 January 2023)
- Grand Officer of the Most Honourable Order of the Crown of Purvanchal (DUMP) (4 July 2022)
- Companion of the Most Noble and Royal Order of the Sovereign Eagle (16 October 2021)
- Commander of the Most Honourable and Venerable Order of the Noble Eagle (12 December 2021)
- Commander of the Order of the Emu (31 August 2021)
- Queenslandian territories
- Queenslandian Capital Territory:
- Honorary Officer of the Most Honourable Order of Meritorious Service to Federal Territories (2 January 2023)
|Ancestors of Alexander of Sarum