Rajpramukh of Uttaranchal
|Rajpramukh of Uttaranchal
|उत्तरांचल के राजप्रमुख
|File:Photo of Bishnu Chetry (2022).jpg
|Rajpramukh Bishnu Chetry
since 8 June 2020
|Crown Prince Manoj
|June 8, 2020
|Rajya Niwas, Uttaranchal
The Rajpramukh of Uttaranchal (Hindi: उत्तरांचल के राजप्रमुख, Nepali: उत्तरांचलको राजप्रमुख), literally the Grand Ruler of Uttaranchal, is the constitutional head of Uttaranchal state in Vishwamitra. The executive power of the state is vested in him as the monarch of the state. The current rajpramukh, Bishnu Chetry, is the first Rajpramukh of Uttaranchal and has been on throne since the establishment of the monarchy on 8 June 2020. He is the head of all religions in the state and also the head of the royal house, the House of Chetry and is also the source of all titles, honours and dignities of its people. In addition, the rajpramukh is also a member of the Conference of Rulers, the body of the state rulers responsible for the election of the Rashtradhyaksh and the Uparashtradhyaksh. Currently, the rajpramukh of Uttaranchal Bishnu Chetry is also the Uparashtradhyaksh since 20 July 2022 and was elected by the Conference of Rulers on 13 July 2022 to succeed Tanishkaa Patranabish, Rajpramukh of Beltola who had resigned from her position.
Uttaranchal, along with Beltola were the first states to be created in September 2016 by then central government. The state was placed under the administration of a governor who was directly appointed by the president and served in office at the pleasure of the president. In early June 2020, the Council of State headed by its chairman and former president Varuna Sriraya convened the members to discuss on matters related to national importance. The council, then, acting at the suggestion of its chairman approved for the establishment of a federal elective absolute monarchy in the nation. Under the proposals, it was suggested for the establishment of provincial monarchies each headed by a Rajpramukh and all the rulers would form the Conference of Rulers which would elect the federal ruler and their deputy.
On 8 June 2020, the monarchy came into existence both at the federal level and that in Uttaranchal. Bishnu Chetry was installed as the first rajpramukh of the state while he appointed his younger brother Prince Manoj as the heir presumptive with the title of the Crown Prince of Uttaranchal.
The Rajpramukh of Uttaranchal is the executive head of state and head of government of the state of Uttaranchal and has their control and influence over a wide range of subjects in the administration of the state and other decisions within the state's jurisdiction. The functions of the rajpramukh include:
- Discharge responsibilites of the executive head of state and head of government.
- Appoint the heir to the throne.
- Appoint the Regent of Uttaranchal.
- Appoint the Chief Minister, if the position exists, in consultation with the heir.
- Appoint the Mayor of Gotanagar in consultation with the chief minister and the heir.
- Appoint other officials of the state including members of the administration, religious institutions, etc.
- Attend meetings of the Conference of Rulers and represent the state in the federal institutions.
- Discharge functions as asked by the Supreme Head of the Nation.
- Confer decorations of the state and the federation.
- Sign decrees and publish orders related to the state.
- Perform any duty which may arise from time to time or delegate them to the heir or other representatives.
The house law requires the person to be installed as the state's rajpramukh to fulfil the following requirements:
- Be a member of the House of Chetry.
- Be a Hindu by birth or adoption.
- Be sound of mind and language.
- Not hold any other government positions in the state or the federation.
The succession to the throne of Uttaranchal shall be limited to the nominated members of the royal house by the outgoing rajpramukh or only as per the line of succession as determined by the outgoing rajpramukh or the Household Council. The succession shall entirely be limited to a member of the royal house either by birth or adoption who must be a Hindu by religion. Any member of the royal house who is married to a non-Hindu shall be barred from succession to the throne.
The current order of succession is:
Heir to the throne
The heir to the throne shall be the Crown Prince/Princess of Uttaranchal who shall be appointed by the Rajpramukh of Uttaranchal and must be a member of the bloodline of the rajpramukh. The Rajpramukh shall have the discretionary power to appoint and remove the heir to the throne.
The current heir to the throne is the younger brother of the rajpramukh, Prince Manoj who has been the heir since the installation of his brother as the Rajpramukh of Uttaranchal.
In case of temporary vacancy of the throne or in case of appointment of the Rajpramukh as the Rashtradhyaksh, the designated heir as appointed by the Rajpramukh shall be the principal regent of the state for the period as specified.
In case of a permanent vacancy or absence of the Rajpramukh, the regent may appoint a Regency Council comprising the regent as chairman, the members in the line of succession, the parents of the Rajpramukh and the chief minister.
List of Rajpramukhs of Uttaranchal
|Duration of reign
(Coronation, when available)
Rajpramukh Bishnu Chetry
राजप्रमुख बिष्णु चेत्री
8 June 2020
|3 years, 239 days
|File:Photo of Bishnu Chetry (2022).jpg
|4 May 2001
Son of Prince Father Chandra Chetry and Princess Mother Laxmi Chetry
|22 years, 273 days
|House of Chetry
Royal orders and decorations
The following are the royal orders conferred by Rajpramukh of Uttaranchal.
- The Most Eminent Royal Family Order of Uttaranchal (उत्तरांचल राज परिवार मानपदवी): founded by Rajpramukh Bishnu Chetry on 4 May 2022. Conferred on members of the Uttaranchal royal family, sovereign monarchs, and foreign heads of state. Restricted to 15 living recipients. Awarded in single class:
- Grand Knight/Dame (G.K.R.U./D.K.R.U.), विशेष वर्ग
- The Most Honourable Order of Uttaranchal (उत्तरांचल मानपदवी): founded by Rajpramukh Bishnu Chetry on 4 May 2022. Conferred for distinguished services towards the state.
- Grand Knight/Dame (G.K.U./G.D.U.), विशेष वर्ग
- Grand Commander (G.C.U.), प्रथम वर्ग
- Commander (C.O.U.), द्वितीय वर्ग
- Officer (O.O.U.), तृतीय वर्ग
- Member (M.O.U.), चतुर्थ वर्ग