Micronations.wiki costs £160 per year to keep online.
Since we are unable to run advertisements, we ask that any users who are able to do so
make a contribution so that Microwiki may continue to survive and thrive. Thank you!
State of Eurania
|This article refers to a nation which is defunct and no longer exists. You can help make the article reflect that or ask on the talk page for further information.|
| State of Eurania |
Rytsiuuni tooţ amtsooţ
(The people make the nation)
|Capital city||Saklar City|
|Largest city||Yarsuta City|
|Official language(s)||English |
|Government||Semi-Autonomous Sorrenian State|
|- President||Miles of Sorrenia (USWP)|
|- Prime Minister||Harry of Sorrenia (NDLP)|
|- Governor||Emrys Lawton (USWP)|
|- Type||- Unicameral Elective Assembly|
|Currency||Sorrenian Dollar |
|is a state of the Sorrenian Federation |
Map of Sorrenia
The name "Eurania" derives from Europe, to indicate that the micronation is made up of many different peoples and cultures from around Europe, in specific Brittonic culture, of which Sorrenian culture is a branch of.
The former flag of Eurania was simply the Sorrenian National Flag with a Hammer and Sickle instead of a Double Triquetra, which representsed former Communist nature of the state. However under Robert Garside the flag was changed to a white flag with a black bear in the centre, and a blue band to the left of the white field as a part of Garside's policy of ridding the country of "Communist culture"
Eurania began as a state of Kozlova, a deceased micronation, created in June of 2012. Its initial name was "Lartania", also referred to as 'Sak Clara' but after the January revolution, the state was re-created as Eurania.
Lartania was an integral state of Kozlova, containing the capital, Saklar City. It was also the power base of the Socialists in Kozlova. As the socialists held a majority in the government, Lartania became one of the most important areas of Kozlova, and during the January Revolution, Lartania was the final location where the pro-Kozlovans still held a majority, after the south and central Kozlovan areas were lost to rebels.
During the lean months of November and December, the political situation of Kozlova had become unstable, however the Socialists were able to maintain power, after gaining support from several foreign Micronations, although it still lost many citizens who joined Micronations created to oppose Kozlova, such as Validor.
This changed however by January. Dominik Slowikowski, one of the original founders and Socialist officially left Kozlova late January (2013). This caused the political state in Kozlova to become incredibly unstable, as Kozlova had now lost the majority of its citizens. Lewis Wild finally left Kozlova in February and formed a rebel alliance between his nation, Tarkelia and Llewelyn Lawton's Validor. They named it Yavoka, and began to harass the government, in the form of online terrorism. The President of Kozlova began talks with the rebels, who stated that Kozlova: "must be destroyed. It has become pointless. We will destroy it!"
Lartania was hit badly, and it quickly became the final area of Kozlovan support. The southern regions were lost to rebels who supported Validor and Tarkelia, forcing the remaining loyalists to take refuge in Lartania. Only two areas of Lartania remained strongly loyalist, one of which was the capital, Saklar City. It became clear that Kozlova was unable to function in this state, and many officials were forced to give their power to the President, such as the King of Doppeland, HM Dominic Fordham.
Miles of Sorrenia, the President officially dismantled Kozlova on the 8th of February, 2013. Talks with the rebel forces had gone well however, as they agreed to create a new Micronation, by the name of Sorrenia, based on the basic principle of Kozlova, egalitarianism. Kozlova had officially come to an end.
Once the new nation of Sorrenia was created to replace Kozlova, Lartania was re-stabilized and to mark the changes, was changed to Eurania, and remains to this day an important location, as it is one of the largest states of Sorrenia.
Macronationally, Eurania is situated in and around the English town of Chester-le Street. Chester-le Street was initially created as a Roman fort by the name of Concangis. This was built alongside the Roman road Cade's Road (now Front Street) and close to the River Wear, around 100 A.D., and was occupied till the Romans left Britain in 410 A.D. At the time the Wear was navigable to at least Concangis, and may also have provided food for the garrisons stationed there.
After the Romans left there is no record of who lived there (apart from some wounded soldiers from wars who had to live there), until 883 when a group of monks, driven out of Lindisfarne seven years earlier, stopped there to build a wooden shrine and church to St Cuthbert, whose body they had borne with them. While they were there the town was the centre of Christianity for much of the northeast, because it was the seat of the Bishop of Lindisfarne, making the church a cathedral. It is now the titular see of Cuncacestre. There the monks translated into English the Lindisfarne Gospels, which they had brought with them. They stayed for 112 years, leaving in 995 for the safer and more permanent home at Durham.
The coal industry also left its mark on the town. From the late 17th century onwards coal was dug in increasing quantities in the region. Mining was centred around the rivers, for transportation by sea to other parts of the country, and Chester-le-Street was at the centre of the coal being dug and shipped away down the Wear, so a centre of coal related communication and commerce. At the same time the growth of the mines and the influx of miners supported local businesses, not just the many inns but new shops and services, themselves bringing in more people to work in them. These people would later work in new industries established in the town to take advantage of its good communications and access to raw materials.
One of the most tragic episodes in the town's history and that of the coal industry in North East England occurred during a miners' strike during the winter of 1811-1812. Collieries owned by the Dean and Chapter of Durham Cathedral were brought to a standstill by the strike, causing much hardship amongst the people of the town. The strike was broken on New Year's Day, 1 January 1812, when the Bishop of Durham, Shute Barrington, sent a detachment of troops from Durham Castle to force a return to work. It is thought that this uncharacteristic act by Barrington was due to pressure from the national government in Westminster who were concerned that the strike was affecting industrial output of essential armaments for the Napoleonic Wars.
Eurania is the northernmost state of Sorrenia, located around the English town of Chester-le Street, which is itself located at the very north of County Durham. Chester-le Street can roughly be divided into three areas; Front Street (which contains most of the shops and transport links), Waldridge (which is predominantly housing developments along with infrastructure such as schools) and the 'river area' which contains sports buildings and equipment as well as a large park.
The front street of Chester-le Street boasts many small businesses such as pubs, fish and chip shops, Argos and other small businesses. Furthermore, Eurania also has a large open market which is open twice a week.
The Emirates Durham International Cricket Ground at Chester-le-Street is home to Durham County Cricket Club which became a first class county in 1992. The town also has its own cricket club, Chester-le-Street Cricket Club based at the Ropery Lane ground. They are the current Champions of the North East Premier League, won the national ECB 45 over tournament in 2009 and reached the quarter final of the national 20/20 club championship in 2009.
St Mary and St Cuthbert church - an Anglican church possesses a rare surviving anchorage, one of the best-preserved in the country. It was built for an anchorite, an extreme form of hermit. His or her walled-up cell had only a slit to observe the altar and an opening for food, while outside was an open grave for when the occupant died. It was occupied by six anchorites from 1383 to c. 1538, and is now a museum known as the Anker's House. The north aisle is occupied by a line of Lumley family effigies, only five genuine, assembled circa 1590. Some have been chopped-off to fit and resemble a casualty station at Agincourt, according to Sir Simon Jenkins in his England's Thousand Best Churches. It is Chester-le-Street's only Grade I listed building