Bowburn

From MicroWiki, the micronational encyclopædia
Jump to: navigation, search
State of Bowburn
Bowburn Flag.png Bowburn coa.png
Durham, ESC, Bowburn Map.png
Green: People's Republic of Bowburn
Blue: North Durham
Purple: Levaria
Orange: Democratic Republic of Filostonia
Black: South Durham
Rose: East Sorrenian Confederacy

National Anthem:
The Motherland is Calling!

The Motherland Is Calling
<videoflash>e99xiLPI1mA|280|50</videoflash>

Motto:
One nation, for the good of the people
Capital New Havana

Official languages English

Denomyn Bowburnian, Sorrenian

Government Federal Presidential Republic
President Miles of Sorrenia (USWP)
Prime Minister Harry of Sorrenia (NDLP)
Governor Jonathan Bunch (USWP)

Legislature State Assembly
-Type Unicameral
Seats 18

Established
– Formation 07/10/13

Area controlled 11.76 km2

Population unkown

Currency Sorrenian Dollar ($)

Drives on the left

Military Revolutionary Army, Conflicts

Date formats Gregorian calendar
dd/mm/yyyyy

The People's Republic of Bowburn is a micronation located in the Sorrenian Federation. It is one of 6 states that are Semi-autonomous.

Toponymy

The People's Republic of Bowburn takes it's name from the town that it is located in, Bowburn. Bowburn was originally a small farming hamlet, named after the shape of the small burn that runs through it.

Flag

The former flag of Bowburn is an adaption of the Republic of Cuba's flag, showing the nations strong support for Cuba and it's leadership. The flag also contains a lot of red, showing the socialism present in the PRB. However, the flag was then changed to a green flag with the Irish harp to represent some of the Irish roots of the area.

Non-Micronational History

Bowburn's history, like that of many other villages in the region, is linked closely to coal mining. Several coal mines were sunk in the area during the 19th century but extensive development did not begin until an entirely new Bowburn Colliery began to be sunk in 1906. Bowburn therefore celebrated its 100th anniversary on 23 July 2006.

The first “Bowburn Colliery” was a shaft sunk in 1840 but failed to find workable coal.

The second Bowburn Colliery was sunk a few years later, south of there (near Park Hill), being one of several sunk in the Quarrington and Coxhoe areas. It was close to the terminus of the Durham Branch of the Clarence Railway. The pit was a small concern, worked first by Robson and Jackson and then the West Hetton Coal Company. It closed in the 1850s.

Bowburn Colliery Tub


The third and most famous Bowburn Colliery was sunk in 1906 by Bell Bros. Ltd., using the 1840 shaft as the ventilation upcast shaft (and, later, for manriding). Its first coal was drawn in 1908. It merged with Tursdale colliery in 1931 and grew to be one of the largest in the Durham coalfield, working six seams and with over 2,500 employees in the 1950s. Meanwhile the village was growing around it. Hardly anything now remains of the colliery complex which closed in July 1967. The colliery yard is now the site of the Bowburn South Industrial Estate.

The day of the annual Durham Miners' Gala (also called "the Big Meeting") used to see large unions of men marching through the village, as Bowburn was en route to Durham for some surrounding pit villages. Local residents have recently, with the help of the Heritage Lottery Fund, had two of Bowburn’s original miners’ banners restored and a new one produced to be paraded at the Gala. By September 2006, two of the restored banners were on display in Bowburn Community Centre, together with the new one (the "Centenary Banner"). This, with another new one designed by Bowburn Junior School pupils, was paraded for the first time at the 2006 Gala. Other events also celebrated the village’s centenary year, including a party and firework display in Bowburn Park, exactly 100 years after Gertrude Bell (as daughter of the Chairman of Bell Brothers) cut the first sod on 23 July 1906 to commence the sinking of the downcast shaft.

Micronational History

The People's Republic of Bowburn officially declared independence on the 26th of May from Great Britain, and joined the Sorrenian Federation soon after as the 2nd Province. The PRB quickly became influential due to the leading Sorrenian Micronationalist, Miles Pressland residing in the Province. Once the People's Nationalist Party was formed on the 16th of June, the PRB became the headquarters of the party, offering an easy position in which the party could expand into mainland Sorrenia in Durham due to it's close proximity.

Geography

Entrance into Bowburn from the North

Bowburn is located approximately 5.5 km (3.4 miles) from the center of Durham, which is the nearest city to Bowburn. Bowburn is predominantly surrounded by farmland, explaining it's early history as a farming hamlet, however towards the east, the A1, the largest motorway in Great Britain runs around Bowburn, connecting with the road in the town towards the south. Almost all of Bowburn is built on flat ground, however several small hills can be found throughout the town.

Facilities and Infrastructure

Following the closure of the colliery and latterly the Cape Minerals Works, Bowburn declined. More recently the location of the village, near Durham City and close to the A1(M) junction 61, has meant that the village has become a prime site for new commuter housing and industrial estates.

Much of the housing in Bowburn is still relatively low cost in terraces or on post-war council estates. However there has been significant development of owner occupied housing along the eastern edge of the village (In which the current President of Sorrenia, Miles Pressland currently resides), and on the old secondary school site. In recent years, a regeneration project has begun, involving the demolition of some council housing on the northern estate and the building of a mixture of housing association and private housing. As part of the regeneration project, a new park has been built and other improvements to community facilities are expected in the near future.

The Church of Christ the King, or "Pineapple Church", demolished in 2007 and rebuilt as a more simple building in 2008. The cross remained until Autumn 2009.

One of Bowburn's claims to fame was its parish church, Christ the King, built between 1963 and 1978. It had a detached spire described locally as 'The Rocket' standing alongside the main church building, which featured a spiked dome roof which led some to call it "The Pineapple Church". The church ceased to be used used for public worship due to its poor condition and was demolished in June 2007, while the adjacent spire fell over due to gales on 3 October 2009. In May 2008 construction of a new church building began on the site, completed in Autumn 2008.

Bowburn North Industrial Estate

Bowburn has its own Junior and Infant & Nursery schools. Secondary pupils attend school outside the village, mostly at Durham Johnston Comprehensive School or St Leonards Catholic School in Durham City.

Bowburn also contains two industrial estates towards the south west, which provide jobs to the local people, and it also has multiple shops, such as a Cooperative, Carpentry business and a few fast food shops.