Treaty of Botafogo
|Treaty of Botafogo|
|Created||26 January 2015|
|Presented||28 January 2015|
|Date effective||28 January 2015|
|Location||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Signatories|| Arthur I of Ebenthal|
Arthur I of Roschfallen
|Purpose||End the Ebenthali Independence War; Roschfallen recognize Ebenthal's secession, independence and sovereignity.|
The Treaty of Botafogo (Portuguese: Tratado de Botafogo) is the treaty by which the Kingdom of Roschfallen recognized the secession and independence of 20% of it's territories enclaved in the Brazilian State of Rio de Janeiro and it's sovereignity as the then-nely formed Kingdom of Ebenthal, thus ending the Ebenthali Civil War. The treaty was written by the ministries of foregin affairs of both countries and presented in neutral territory between the cities of Arturia and Triunphus. By the terms of the treaty, King Arthur I of Roschfallen recognized Lord Arthur, Duke of Gallar, as the new High King Arthur I of Ebenthal; Roschfallen and Ebenthal also recognized each other's independence, sovereinity and territorial claims, relinquishing any overlapped claim. It also established diplomatic relations between the two nations by officialy opening two embassies, one of each.
Following the creation of the Kingdom of Roschfallen in January 2014, Arthur, Duke of Gallar ceded sovereignity over his family's properties in Petrópolis, Brazil, to the newly-established realm, and they were incorporated to the Gros Morne Repartition, whilst the noble was made High Comissioner of Gross Morne. Eventually, by the mid of that year, misunderstandings regarding the country's organizationa aroused between the King Arthur I of Roschfallen and several nobles, including the Duke of Gallar. Refusing to accept his colleagues demands, the monarch dismissed those who spoke against him, including the the Duke who, in revenge, seized sovereignity over his properties once again and proclaimed it's independence, on which he was supported by the Count of Myrvallar and the Marquis of Acquitane, who proclaimed independence of their private properties inside Avalon and Iriland Repartitions and, joined with the Duke of Gallar, proclaimed the creation of the Kingdom of Ebenthal with the duke as it's first monarch. Soon more Roschfallenian nobles joined the seccesionist kingdom offering sovereignity over their lands to Ebenthal as they never did to Roschfallen, which enfuriated that country's monarch and he refused to recognized Ebenthali independence.
The following months were marked by several virtual attacks by both countries. The Nation-States platform was also used to perform a virtual war, as the main micronationalists involved were inspired by that roleplay game and were still active on it and learning of micronationalism. This whole event came to be known as the Ebenthali Independence War. With Ebenthal's administrative structure consolidated and the country gaining recognitin from other micronations, months later, the King of Roschfallen had no option but to recognize Ebenthal's independence. In a gesture of good will, he drafter the Treaty of Botafogo and presented it on his birthday in 2015 to the High King of Ebenthal, which agreed to all the terms.
According to the treaty:
- Roschfallen relinquished it's claim of sovereignity over the northern portion of Gros Morne and recognized Ebenthali sovereignity of it.
- Roschfallen relinquished it's claim of sovereignity over the private properties of the Count of Myrvallar and the Marquis of Acquitaine and recognized Ebenthali sovereignity over it.
- Roschfallen permanently extinguished all titles previously granted to the former Duke of Gallar, Count of Myrvallar and Marquis of Acquitaine, as well as to all their relatives.
- Ebenthal recognized Roschfallenian sovereignity over the rest of Avalon, Iriland and Gros Morne Departments, other than the private properties of the aforementioned nobles.
- Ebenthal relinquished all eventual claims to the Carvalho and Sant'Anna family's lands and properties which comprised then the Principality of Belmonte.
- Both countries agreeded on ending the war state between each other.
- Both countries adhered to the Nomadic Micronation Theory concept propsed by the King of Roschfallen.
- Libertian Archives. Retrieved 24 January 2020. Published on 14 March 2018.