Penal Code of Ebenthal
|Penal Code of the Kingdom of Ebenthal|
|Created||12 January 2020|
|Ratified||16 January 2020|
|Authors||King Arthur II|
|Signers||King Arthur II|
The Penal Code of Ebenthal (Portuguese: Código Penal de Ebenthal) is the second penal code the country ever had, after the suspension of thr first in August 2019 by former High King Matheus I. It was written by current King Arthur II and approved by the Conclave a few days after it's presentation. It is considered a much extreme penal code with harsh sentences and little judiciary appeal.
Among others, this penal code institutes penalties for discriminatory crimes, animal abuse, crimes against nature, corruption, murder, aggression, theft, treason, etc. The minimum penalty is two years in prison, the maximum is the death penalty (which is de facto commuted to exile and banishment). There is no life sentence. All incarceration penalties provide for forced labor. In specific situations, the penal code also provides for debt slavery as alternate to imprisionment.'
As Ebenthal has no sufficiente geographic size, manpower or money to sustain a prisional system and enforce some penalties, these are divided into the de jure penalties as foreseen by the penal code and the de facto penalties interpreted and executed as the Tribune of Truth seems fit.
- Death penalty is allowed according to the penal code, but due to major problems enforcing it's execution, it is automatically commuted to forever banishment. Legally, death penalty should be carried by dissolution into acid. Crimes punishble by death are:
- High treason (Pt: Lesa-Majestade)
- Qualified homicide
- Purposeful water pollution
- Serios mistreat of animals
- Serious aggression of the disabled
- Serious environmental crimes
- Illegal torture
- Human trafficking
- Organs trafficking
- Enemy espionage
- Torture is allowed according to the penal code in order to acquire valuable information in matters like serious crimes and war. The sentece has only once be applied as defined, and is usually carried as mental torture through threats.
- As the micronation lacks a prisional system, incarceration is interpreted and applied in different ways, ranging from temporary loss of political rights and citizenship to exile for as long as the sentence take place. As to avoid this, a mechanism was created within the penal code allowing people convicted to incarceration the option to fulfill their sentences as debt slaves whereas they would become slaves of the state which would enforce them on labor towards their victims, wether a citizen or the state itself, until the debt is fulfilled.