Micronations.wiki costs £160 per year to keep online.
Since we are unable to run advertisements, we ask that any users who are able to do so
make a contribution so that Microwiki may continue to survive and thrive. Thank you!
Commonwealth of Sayvillian Regions
Commonwealth of Sayvillian Regions
|Official languages||English, French|
|Type||Political and cultural union|
The Commonwealth of Sayvillian Regions (CSR) is a political and cultural union between the Empire of Sayville (EOS), Kingdom of Sayville (KOS), Kingdom of West Sayville (KWS), and Dominion of Sayville (DOS), four micronations (or "regions" as they're sometimes referred to in the CSR). These regions and the CSR maintain a presence on the political simulation game known as NationStates given their historical ties to the site but have active micronational land claims in Sayville, NY and West Sayville, NY (the namesakes for the EOS, KOS, KWS, and DOS and the hamlets all CSR members are based out of). The Commonwealth's community is most active on Discord, which is used as the primary form of communication between government officials, citizens, and diplomats (with the exception of the DOS, which relies heavily on WhatsApp for communication between its government and citizenry). As members of the Commonwealth, the EOS, KOS, KWS, and DOS share many of the same government policies, but still retain their individual rights as sovereign micronations (the DOS being the exception in that it's the only non-sovereign member of the CSR, although it does possess considerable control over its own affairs). Given their geographic location, members of the CSR are sometimes collectively called "Sayville," or, less commonly "The Sayvilles."
- 1 Historical pre-micronational events in Sayville and West Sayville (1761-2018)
- 2 Historical micronational events in Sayville and West Sayville/the CSR and its members (2018-present)
- 3 Culture of the CSR and micronational Sayville & West Sayville
- 4 Foreign and external relations of CSR members
- 5 External Links
- 6 References
Historical pre-micronational events in Sayville and West Sayville (1761-2018)
- 1761 - John Edwards (b. 1738) of East Hampton builds his home, the first in Sayville, located at what is now the northwest corner of Foster Avenue and Edwards Street.
- 1761 - John Greene settles what is now known as West Sayville.
- 22 March 1837 - Sayville's first post office opens.
- 1838 - Residents gather to choose a name for their town and for their post office that opened the year prior. Until that time, Sayville was known informally as "over south." The townspeople held a meeting to decide on a name, and after Edwardsville and Greensville tied in a vote, one resident suggested "Seaville". According to historical accounts, the clerk at that particular meeting did not know how to spell and had to go home and look in an old Bible he had brought from England years before. In the Bible, the word "sea" was spelled "s-a-y", and "Sayville" became the name he sent to Washington. After the error was discovered, the community sent a letter of protest to Washington D.C.; however, the Postmaster General responded that the name should stay "Sayville", as there were many "Seaville"s in the world but no "Sayville"s. As a result, the name stuck. The claim is also sometimes made that "in some very old Bibles, the town name is also spelled 'S-a-v-i-l-l-e,'" but this is impossible, as no location in the western hemisphere is ever mentioned in the Bible. It may be noted, however, that until the early 19th Century, it was common in many varieties of English to pronounce "sea" so that it rhymed with "obey", and thus "Sayville" could have been a phonetic representation of how some speakers would have pronounced "Seaville."
Historical micronational events in Sayville and West Sayville/the CSR and its members (2018-present)
- 25 December 2018 - The Kingdom of Sayville (KOS) is established on NationStates, making it one of the first Sayville-based political entities -- virtual or physical -- in Sayvillian history. That same day, Charles Burgardt becomes the first "King of the Sayvillians." December 25 is subsequently recognized as an annual holiday in the KOS, known as "Foundation Day."
- 26 December 2018 - The Kingdom of West Sayville (KWS) is established on NationStates. Originally created as a client state of the KOS, it would eventually be granted full independence the next month via the abolition of its personal union with the KOS. December 26 is recognized as an annual holiday in the KWS, known as "Foundation Day."
- 1 January 2019 - The future CSR Discord server is created. The server was not originally created for the CSR, so its establishment predates the creation of the Commonwealth itself.
- 7 January 2019 - Following the KOS's granting of independence to the KWS, the Commonwealth of Sayvillian Regions (CSR) is founded to promote cultural unity between the two regions. January 7 is recognized as an annual holiday throughout the Commonwealth, and is officially known as "Pan-Sayvillian Unity Day."
- 13 February 2019 - The Discord server created on January 1 becomes the official Discord server of the CSR. Prior to this, the CSR, KOS, and KWS had separate servers but merged them together to create a single server for the CSR and its members; this was also done to promote cultural unity between the KOS, KWS, and future members of the Commonwealth.
- 23 March 2019 - The Kingdom of West Sayville becomes a vassal -- albeit an "independent" vassal since the KWS retains its sovereignty -- of the Raxulan Empire.
- 21 April 2019 - The Empire of Sayville (EOS) -- a future CSR member -- is founded.
- 26 April 2019 - The Kingdom of West Sayville renounces its status as a vassal of the Raxulan Empire but remains committed to maintaining "friendly ties with the Raxulans."
- 18 July 2019 - The KOS, KWS, and CSR as a whole begin to venture into the world of micronationalism. Emboldened by the idea that they may be considered micronations (formerly known within the CSR as "off-site political entities" or "OPEs" before November 3, 2019) in their own right, King Charles of the Sayvillians joins a number of micronational Discord servers, hoping they might recognize CSR members as one of their own.
- 20 July 2019 - The CSR creates a MicroWiki page.
- 21 July 2019 - The Principality of New Eiffel becomes the first micronation -- at the time considered to be an "off-site political entity" by CSR members -- to recognize the sovereignty of the KOS and KWS (and the EOS, retroactively) via the Treaty of Mutual Recognition Between the Principality of New Eiffel, the Kingdom of Sayville, the Kingdom of West Sayville, and the Empire of Sayville.
- 26 July 2019 - The Empire of Sayville (EOS) becomes the third member to join the Commonwealth.
- 1 October 2019 - Separate Discord servers are made for the KOS and KWS, in an attempt to promote the creation of distinct regional identities and to improve communication. Up until this point, the CSR was of the opinion that a single "Pan-Sayvillian Identity" was to be promoted in each of its members. While such a concept was still supported, it was modified to better suit the cultural needs of all members; these servers were eventually abandoned when CSR officials realized that division weakened the Commonwealth.
- 5 October 2019 - Nelfania (known only by his Discord name) transfers ownership of the CSR's Discord server to King Charles of the Sayvillians.
- 5 October 2019 - The CSR and its members join the Union of Discord Nations (UDN).
- 3 November 2019 - In an effort to increase activity, the CSR members make the decision to revise their citizenship qualifications to allow non-NS players to become citizens. As a result, while maintaining an NS presence via their on-site "regions," CSR members attempt to recategorize themselves as "micronations with a presence on NationStates."
- 12 November 2019 - Citizenship requirements in CSR members are further modified, with the NS regions being reserved solely for high-ranking government officials. The remaining civilian populations in the Kingdom of Sayville and the Kingdom of West Sayville were then relocated from NS to Discord in pursuance with these changes.
- 12 November 2019 - Palractus (known only by his Discord name) is appointed as Prime Minister of the KWS.
- 24 November 2019 - For the first time since its creation, the CSR Discord server is subjected to a minor raid, resulting in heightened security to prevent future attacks.
- 30 December 2019 - Tyrannical Birds (known only by his Discord name) abdicates the throne of West Sayville; he is succeeded by Takaar (known only by his Discord name) as the new King of the West Sayvillians.
- 7 January 2020 - The EOS, KOS, and KWS sign the Treaty of the Sayvilles, an international treaty codifying the land claims held by all CSR members.
- 23 February 2020 - After abdicating the throne, Tyrannical Birds is elected as the new Prime Minister of the KWS, replacing Palractus.
- 23 February 2020 - The Dominion of Sayville (DOS) -- a future CSR member -- is founded as an autonomous region of the Aspen Empire, later renamed/replaced by the Kingdom of Powhatan.
- 29 February 2020 - The Treaty of the Sayvilles is updated to include recognition of the Principality of Sayville (POS) and Dominion of Sayville (DOS) as legitimate Sayvillian states.
- 15 March 2020 - The Dominion of Sayville (DOS) becomes the fourth member of the CSR, and the first member to be non-sovereign (the DOS is a Dominion/autonomous region of the Kingdom of Powhatan, although it has significant autonomy over its own affairs).
- 14 May 2020 - Sertor Valentinus is elected as the new Prime Minister of the KWS, replacing Tyrannical Birds.
- 20 May 2020 - Silvia of the KOS is appointed as Minister of WA Affairs and ex officio WA Delegate for the KOS by Prime Minister James Xarca.
- 26 May 2020 - Carson of the EOS is appointed Prime Minister of the Empire of Sayville by Emperor Karma of the Sayvillians.
- 30 May 2020 - The Empire of Sayville joins the Greater Carsonite Empire.
- 31 May 2020 - John I of Baustralia is made Crown Prince of Sayville in the KOS by King Charles of the Sayvillians.
- 6 June 2020 - The EOS adopts a new flag and coat of arms.
- 13 June 2020 - Redesigns for the flags and coat of arms of the CSR, KOS, and KWS are released to the general public following a week-long effort to create new symbols representative of the Commonwealth and its heritage.
- 20 June 2020 - Emperor Karma of the Sayvillians designates Prince Pegleg as the heir presumptive to the throne of the EOS.
- 24 June 2020 - The CSR creates a PangaPedia page.
- 29 June 2020 - The Governor-General of the Dominion of Sayville grants Royal Assent to the Sayvillian Broadcasting Act, which was proposed and passed earlier that day in the Executive Council. As such, the Sayvillian Broadcasting Corporation (SBC) officially came into being.
Culture of the CSR and micronational Sayville & West Sayville
Since its founding, the CSR seeks to promote the development of a "Pan-Sayvillian identity." This includes the promotion of the French language, adopted throughout the CSR given its diplomatic importance and "sophisticated" qualities. Most citizens lack a basic understanding of French, but it is used prominently on official bulletins, headings, and titles released by member governments. Since its adoption, government programs have been implemented (most notably the French Language Commission (French: Commission de la langue française) to increase awareness of the Commonwealth's French-speaking community. The English Language Commission was also created to complement the French Language Commission in the CSR's efforts to promote bilingualism in its members. On the CSR's Discord server, roles have been made for French and English-speaking Sayvillians to foster a sense of identity among the two linguistic groups in Commonwealth members. Another interesting aspect of Pan-Sayvillian culture is the use of pseudonyms or usernames in place of legal names. Since the Commonwealth was once based almost entirely on NationStates, it's common to hear people go by their NS or Discord "name" as opposed to their actual name (ex. "Karlsbourg" as opposed to "Charles"). Some members may adopt a pseudonym (ex. Sertor Valentinus) to conduct official government business and sign documents, useful since Discord names are considered inappropriate for some legal documents. CSR members have also adopted a consistent color scheme (purple, gold, and white) that provides a sense of camaraderie and cooperation; these colors are widely recognized as the "Pan-Sayvillian colors," and are featured prominently on dispatches, logos, and flags issued by the CSR and its constituent members. To ensure cultural cohesion between the EOS, KOS, KWS, and DOS, individual Ministries of Culture often coordinate closely to preserve and promote Sayvillian culture.
Foreign and external relations of CSR members
The nations listed below have official diplomatic relations with sovereign CSR members (i.e. the Empire of Sayville, Kingdom of Sayville, and Kingdom of West Sayville):
Given the DOS's non-sovereign status, the nations listed above have full ties with the EOS, KOS, and KWS, but only partial or informal ties with the DOS.
- Commonwealth of Sayvillian Regions (CSR) on NationStates
- Empire of Sayville (EOS) on NationStates
- Kingdom of Sayville (KOS) on NationStates
- Kingdom of West Sayville (KWS) on NationStates
- Dominion of Sayville (DOS) on NationStates
- CSR Discord server
- Wikipedia contributors, "Sayville, New York," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sayville,_New_York&oldid=964624348 (accessed July 7, 2020).