Commonwealth of Sayvillian Regions
Commonwealth of Sayvillian Regions
Commonwealth des régions sayvilliennes (French)
Motto: "Unité, Coopération, Paix" (French)
"Unity, Cooperation, Peace"
• Founded on NationStates
|7 January 2019|
• Introduced to micronationalism
|18 July 2019|
• Treaty of the Sayvilles ratified
|7 January 2020|
• Last polity admitted
|15 March 2020 (Dominion of Sayville)|
|Time zone||UTC-05:00 (EST)|
• Summer (DST)
The Commonwealth of Sayvillian Regions (French: Commonwealth des régions sayvilliennes), commonly called the CSR, is a supranational union between the Empire of Sayville (EOS), Kingdom of Sayville (KOS), Kingdom of West Sayville (KWS), and Dominion of Sayville (DOS), four micronations (or "regions," as they're often called within the CSR) located in the Sayville Sector. The Commonwealth is most active on Discord, which is the primary communication platform used by government officials, citizens, and diplomats (with the exception of the DOS, which primarily uses WhatsApp). All members of the Commonwealth -- excluding the DOS, which is an autonomous region of the Kingdom of Powhatan -- are sovereign micronations/regions in their own right, but share a common cultural and political heritage that serves as a unifying force between their governments.
Pre-foundation era (1761 - December 2018)
As quoted or paraphrased from the Greater Sayville Chamber of Commerce
- 1761 - John Edwards (b. 1738) of East Hampton builds his home, the first in Sayville, located at what is now the northwest corner of Foster Avenue and Edwards Street.
- 1767 - John Greene settles what is now known as West Sayville.
- 22 March 1837 - Sayville's first post office opens.
- 1838 - Residents gather to choose a name for their town and for their post office that opened the year prior. Until that time, Sayville was known informally as "over south." The townspeople held a meeting to decide on a name, and after Edwardsville and Greensville tied in a vote, one resident suggested "Seaville". According to historical accounts, the clerk at that particular meeting did not know how to spell and had to go home and look in an old Bible he had brought from England years before. In the Bible, the word "sea" was spelled "s-a-y", and "Sayville" became the name he sent to Washington. After the error was discovered, the community sent a letter of protest to Washington D.C.; however, the Postmaster General responded that the name should stay "Sayville", as there were many "Seaville"s in the world but no "Sayville"s. As a result, the name stuck. The claim is also sometimes made that "in some very old Bibles, the town name is also spelled 'S-a-v-i-l-l-e,'" but this is impossible, as no location in the western hemisphere is ever mentioned in the Bible. It may be noted, however, that until the early 19th Century, it was common in many varieties of English to pronounce "sea" so that it rhymed with "obey", and thus "Sayville" could have been a phonetic representation of how some speakers would have pronounced "Seaville."
NationStates era (December 2018 - July 2019)
- 25 December 2018 - The Kingdom of Sayville (KOS) is established on NationStates, making it one of the first Sayville-based political entities -- virtual or physical -- in Sayvillian history. That same day, Charles Burgardt becomes the first "King of the Sayvillians." December 25 is subsequently recognized as an annual holiday in the KOS, known as "Foundation Day."
- 26 December 2018 - The Kingdom of West Sayville (KWS) is established on NationStates. Originally created as a client state of the KOS with King Charles of the Sayvillians reigning as "King of the West Sayvillians," it would eventually be granted full independence the next month via the abolition of its personal union with the KOS. December 26 is recognized as an annual holiday in the KWS, known as "Foundation Day."
- 1 January 2019 - The future CSR Discord server is created. The server was not originally created for the CSR, so its establishment predates the creation of the Commonwealth itself.
- 7 January 2019 - The Commonwealth of Sayvillian Regions (CSR) is founded between the Kingdom of Sayville and the Kingdom of West Sayville to promote cultural unity between the two regions. January 7 is recognized as an annual holiday throughout the Commonwealth with the name "Pan-Sayvillian Unity Day."
- 13 February 2019 - The Discord server created on January 1 becomes the official Discord server of the CSR. Prior to this, the CSR, KOS, and KWS had separate servers but merged them together to create a single server for the CSR and its members; this was also done to promote cultural unity between the KOS, KWS, and future members of the Commonwealth.
- 23 March 2019 - The Kingdom of West Sayville becomes a vassal -- albeit an "independent" vassal since the KWS retains its sovereignty -- of the Raxulan Empire.
- 21 April 2019 - The Empire of Sayville (EOS) -- a future CSR member -- is founded.
- 26 April 2019 - The Kingdom of West Sayville renounces its status as a vassal of the Raxulan Empire but remains committed to maintaining "friendly ties with the Raxulans."
Transitional era (July 2019 - January 2020)
- 18 July 2019 - The CSR and its members venture into the world of micronationalism. Emboldened by the idea that they may be considered micronations (formerly known within the CSR as "off-site political entities" or "OPEs" before November 3, 2019) in their own right, King Charles of the Sayvillians joins a number of micronational Discord servers, hoping they might recognize CSR members as one of their own.
- 20 July 2019 - The CSR creates a MicroWiki page.
- 21 July 2019 - The Principality of New Eiffel becomes the first micronation -- at the time considered to be an "off-site political entity" by CSR members -- to recognize the sovereignty of the KOS and KWS (and the EOS, retroactively) via the Treaty of Mutual Recognition Between the Principality of New Eiffel, the Kingdom of Sayville, the Kingdom of West Sayville, and the Empire of Sayville.
- 26 July 2019 - The Empire of Sayville (EOS) becomes the third region to join the Commonwealth.
- 1 October 2019 - Separate Discord servers are made for the KOS and KWS, in an attempt to promote the creation of distinct regional identities and to improve communication. Up until this point, the CSR was of the opinion that a single "Pan-Sayvillian Identity" was to be promoted in each of its members. While such a concept was still supported, it was modified to better suit the cultural needs of all members; these servers were eventually abandoned when CSR officials realized that division weakened the Commonwealth.
- 5 October 2019 - Dexter Ball transfers ownership of the CSR's Discord server to King Charles of the Sayvillians. That same day, the CSR and its members join the Union of Discord Nations (UDN).
- 3 November 2019 - In an effort to increase activity, the CSR members make the decision to revise their citizenship qualifications to allow non-NS players to become citizens. As a result, while maintaining an NS presence via their on-site "regions," CSR members attempt to recategorize themselves as "micronations with a presence on NationStates."
- 12 November 2019 - Citizenship requirements in CSR members are further modified, with the NS regions being reserved solely for high-ranking government officials. The remaining civilian populations in the Kingdom of Sayville and the Kingdom of West Sayville were then relocated from NS to Discord in pursuance of these changes. That same day, Palractus (known only by his Discord name) is appointed as Prime Minister of the KWS.
- 24 November 2019 - For the first time since its creation, the CSR Discord server is subjected to a minor raid, resulting in heightened security to prevent future attacks.
- 30 December 2019 - Tyrannical Birds (known only by his Discord name) abdicates the throne of West Sayville; he is succeeded by Tom Lucius Korennus Haex as the new King of the West Sayvillians.
Micronational era (January 2020 - present)
- 7 January 2020 - The EOS, KOS, and KWS sign the Treaty of the Sayvilles, an international treaty that codifies the land claims held by CSR members and integrates the Commonwealth into the micronational community.
- 23 February 2020 - After abdicating the throne, Tyrannical Birds is elected as the new Prime Minister of the KWS, replacing Palractus. That same day, the Dominion of Sayville (DOS) -- a future CSR member -- is founded as an autonomous region of the Aspen Empire (dissolved and partially reformed into the Kingdom of Powhatan soon after the DOS's establishment) via the Dominion of Sayville Act.
- 29 February 2020 - The Treaty of the Sayvilles is updated to include recognition of the Principality of Sayville (POS) and Dominion of Sayville (DOS) as legitimate Sayvillian states.
- 15 March 2020 - The Dominion of Sayville (DOS) becomes the fourth member of the CSR, and the first member to be non-sovereign (the DOS is a Dominion/autonomous region of the Kingdom of Powhatan, although it has significant autonomy over its own affairs).
- 14 May 2020 - Sertor Valentinus is elected as the new Prime Minister of the KWS, replacing Tyrannical Birds.
- 20 May 2020 - Silvia of the KOS is appointed as Minister of WA Affairs and ex officio WA Delegate for the KOS by Prime Minister James Xarca.
- 26 May 2020 - Carson Snyder of the EOS is appointed Prime Minister of the Empire of Sayville by Emperor Francis of the Sayvillians.
- 30 May 2020 - The Empire of Sayville joins the Greater Carsonite Empire.
- 31 May 2020 - John I of Baustralia is made Crown Prince of Sayville in the KOS by King Charles of the Sayvillians.
- 6 June 2020 - The EOS adopts a new flag and coat of arms.
- 13 June 2020 - Redesigns for the flags and coat of arms of the CSR, KOS, and KWS are released to the general public following a week-long effort to create new symbols representative of the Commonwealth and its heritage.
- 20 June 2020 - Emperor Francis of the Sayvillians designates Prince Pegleg as the heir presumptive to the throne of the EOS.
- 29 June 2020 - The Sayvillian Broadcasting Corporation (SBC) is established in the DOS via the Sayvillian Broadcasting Act.
- 31 July 2020 - The Governor-General of the DOS establishes the Sayvillian Heraldic Authority (SHA) and the Order of Sayville on advice from his ministers. The Hon. Aidan McCullough PC MEC and Mr. Brian Velázquez are subsequently inducted as the Order's first members (excluding the Governor-General himself).
- 1 August 2020 - The Empire of Sayville establishes the Imperial College of Arms.
- 2 August 2020 - The Imperial College of Arms of the EOS designs a new flag and coat of arms for the Empire of Sayville, replacing the designs adopted on 6 June 2020.
- 6 August 2020 - The CSR does away with "automatic citizenship" for new members of the Discord server.
- 10 August 2020 - Prince Brady, Sovereign of Powhatan in Right of the Dominion of Sayville, abdicates the throne in favor of Thomas of Powhatan. The DOS's Governor-General subsequently releases a statement commemorating the event.
- 16 August 2020 - Emperor Francis of the Sayvillians promulgates a constitution for the EOS and proclaims August 16 to be "Reformation Day" to commemorate the constitution's adoption. That same day, Prime Minister James Xarca of the KOS establishes the "Ministry of Heraldic Affairs," with Christina Nowell serving as its inaugural minister.
- 26 August 2020 - CSR officials formally adopt lyrics for the Commonwealth's anthem. That same day, King Tom of the West Sayvillians appoints the Crown Prince as regent of the KWS.
- 11 September 2020 - The KWS signs a treaty of mutual recognition with the Commonwealth of Naveria.
- 30 September 2020 - The KWS ratifies the Wrythe Convention and signs a treaty of mutual recognition with the Unified Royal States of Australis.
- 4 October 2020 - Sertor Valentinus establishes The Brookside Gazette in the KWS.
- 6 October 2020 - The KWS ratifies the Edgbaston Convention.
- 7 October 2020 - The EOS and KWS ratify the La Salle Convention.
- 10 October 2020 - The KWS becomes an observer state of the Cupertino Alliance.
- 13 October 2020 - The KWS becomes an observer state of the Grand Unified Micronational.
- 20 October 2020 - King Charles of the Sayvillians establishes the House of Burgardt Cabote, as well as the Order of the Sayvillian Lion and Order of the House of Burgardt-Cabote.
- 21 October 2020 - Thomas, Sovereign of Powhatan, alters his title to become "Emperor-King of Powhatan" and "Emperor-King of Powhatan in Right of the Dominion of Sayville" in the DOS.
- 26 October 2020 - King Tom of the West Sayvillians dissolves the regency established in the KWS on 26 August 2020.
- 27 October 2020 - The KWS signs a treaty of mutual recognition with the Misberian Confederacy.
- 12 November 2020 - The KWS becomes a member state of the Cupertino Alliance.
- 22 November 2020 - The KOS signs a treaty of mutual recognition with the Commonwealth of Naveria.
- 11 December 2020 - The KOS Council of Ministers recalls James Xarca as Prime Minister; he is succeeded by Dexter Ball, former Deputy Prime Minister.
- 23 December 2020 - The KWS is granted provisional membership in the Grand Unified Micronational.
- 7 January 2021 - EOS, KOS, and KWS officials approve amendments to the Treaty of the Sayvilles.
- 8 January 2021 - The KOS signs a mutual recognition treaty with the Monmarkian Empire.
- 9 January 2021 - Theodore Porter is installed as Governor-General of the Dominion of Sayville following the resignation of his predecessor, Michael Pitre.
- 14 January 2021 - The KWS becomes a full member of the Grand Unified Micronational.
- 19 January 2021 - The KOS signs a mutual recognition treaty with the Kingdom of Northwood-Oregon.
- 5 February 2021 - The EOS signs a mutual recognition treaty with the Kingdom of Northwood-Oregon.
- 8 February 2021 - The KOS unilaterally adopts the La Salle Convention.
- 25 February 2021 - The KOS signs a mutual recognition treaty with the Cheskgariyan-Litvanian Commonwealth.
- 2 March 2021 - CSR regions sign a memorandum of understanding that clarifies the Dominion of Sayville's status within the Commonwealth.
- 28 March 2021 - The KWS signs a mutual recognition treaty with the State of Vishwamitra.
- 4 June 2021 - The KOS signs a mutual recognition treaty with the State of Vishwamitra.
- 14 June 2021 - King Charles of the Sayvillians abolishes damehoods in the Order of the Sayvillian Lion and the Order of the House of Burgardt-Cabote, replacing them with knighthoods to promote inclusivity among all recipients, regardless of gender. The change applies to current and future appointments to the orders.
Culture of the CSR and micronational Sayville & West Sayville
The culture of the CSR (and, by extension, the Sayville Sector), is a blend of local traditions adopted from the macronational Sayvillian community and constructed elements unique to the CSR's micronational community.
Foreign and external relations of CSR members
The nations listed below have official diplomatic relations with some or all sovereign CSR members (i.e. the Empire of Sayville, Kingdom of Sayville, and/or Kingdom of West Sayville):
- Republic of Long Island
- Commonwealth of Naveria (KOS and KWS only)
- Unified Royal States of Australis (KWS only)
- Misberian Confederacy (KWS only)
- State of Vishwamitra (KWS only)
- Monmarkian Empire (KOS only)
- Kingdom of Northwood-Oregon (EOS and KOS only)
- Cheskgariyan-Litvanian Commonwealth (KOS only)
Given the DOS's non-sovereign status, the nations listed above may have full ties with the EOS, KOS, and/or KWS, but only informal ties with the DOS.
- The Greater Sayville Chamber of Commerce, Inc. “About Sayville.” The Greater Sayville Chamber of Commerce, Inc., The Greater Sayville Chamber of Commerce, Inc., 2020, greatersayvillechamber.com/about-sayville/. Accessed 10 Sept. 2020.
- Burgardt, Charles (7 January 2020) Treaty of the Three Sayvilles — Opening Address, Commonwealth of Sayvillian Regions. Retrieved 19 November 2020.
- Treaty of the Sayvilles, Commonwealth of the Sayvillian Regions. Retrieved 19 November 2020.
- Commonwealth of Sayvillian Regions (CSR) on NationStates
- Empire of Sayville (EOS) on NationStates
- Kingdom of Sayville (KOS) on NationStates
- Kingdom of West Sayville (KWS) on NationStates
- Dominion of Sayville (DOS) on NationStates
- CSR Discord server