Micronations.wiki costs £160 per year to keep online.
Since we are unable to run advertisements, we ask that any users who are able to do so
make a contribution so that Microwiki may continue to survive and thrive. Thank you!
Antarctic Micronational Union
|This article refers to a micronation which is defunct and no longer exists. You can help make the article reflect that or ask on the talk page for further information.|
|Antarctic Micronational Union
|Hymn of the AMU |
|Headquarters||AMU Facebook page|
|Membership||10 member nations|
|Foundation||December 6, 2008|
|AMU Reforms||January 15, 2010 & August 21, 2013|
The Antarctic Micronational Union is the first micronational multinational organisation that comprises only of Antarctic micronations.
The main goal of the AMU is to organize all Antarctic micronations and protect each others' territory and claims. The AMU also keeps the administration about all the current claims in Antarctica to avoid misunderstandings and conflicts. Since 2010 the AMU has been mentioned in several Dutch, Belgian and Russian media.
The AMU was officially established on December 6, 2008 as the Grupo Del Acuerdo Micronational Antartico (GAMA) by the Kingdom of Finismund, Marie State and the Grand Duchy of Flandrensis. The Federated States of Antarctica and Keep Watch were the first micronations which joined the organisation after its foundation. The GAMA was founded as result of a conflict between Finismund, Marie State and Flandrensis against Jon Lawrence of Westarctica, known as the Great Micronational Antarctic War. This conflict ended on September 24, 2010 when Niels of Flandrensis and Travis McHenry, founder of Westarctica signed the West-Antarctic Treaty.
In late 2009, the organization faced a crisis when two of the founding nations, Finismund and Marie State, were disbanded. There was no structure anymore and the administration was incomplete. In January 2010 Flandrensis proposed the first elections of the organization, and on the 15th of that month Grand Duke Niels of Flandrensis was elected as the first Secretary-General. The same day he renamed the organization to the Antarctic Micronational Union (AMU), a name that has more clarity. On October 24, 2011 the AMU was reformed by dividing the organization into 4 administrative regions: West-Antarctica, East-Antarctica, Victoria Land and the Northern Antarctic Peninsula. The reform was only a temporally success. Faced with inactivity on the forum, the lack of communication and the disappearing of several micronations the AMU was confronted again with a crisis in 2013. Niels of Flandrensis (co-founder of the AMU) took the initiative for another reform, supported by the remaining active members. On August 21, 2013 all inactive members were removed from the organization., the forum was removed and replaced by the official Facebookpage and the organization simplified its administration. In November 2016 Flandrensis, Westarctica, Ruthenia, Arkel, and Campinia withdraw their membership after a discussion about internal affairs and the preservation of Antarctica and ecologic issues.
Micronations with only Antarctic claims
- Princedom of Aysellant: Territory located in the Queen Maud Land
Micronations with Antarctic colonies
- Republic of New Westphalia: Coronation Island
- Federal Republic of Lostisland: Alexander Island
- Empire of Pavlov: Graham- and Liège Island
- USLSSR: Territory located in South- and East-Antarctica
- Noble Republic of Lurk
- Kingdom of Sycamore
Antarctic micronations can ask for membership of the AMU, on the condition that they don't claim land of a member of the AMU and undertake to abide the AMU Charter.
- Kingdom of Danland (defunct)
- Keep Watch (inactive)
- Federated States of Antarctica (inactive)
- Republic of the Wilhelm Islands (inactive)
- Republic of Subenia (inactive)
- Grand Duchy of the North Antarctic Peninsular Islands (inactive)
- Free Pristinian Republic (inactive)
- Union of Starland (inactive)
- Domanglia (inactive)
- Kingdom of Falghun (inactive)
- Federal Commonwealth of Havnesgade-Amager (inactive)
- ASEA (left the AMU in 2012)
- Knoll Island Empire (inactive)
- Tsardom of Nolland (inactive)
- Kingdom of Pavlov (inactive)
- Directory of Akull: Territory located in the Ross Ice Shelf (inactive)
- Federal Republic of Snežanopol: Graham- and Liège Island (inactive)
- Nemkhav Federation (inactive)
- Treconia: Dream Island and Swain Island Group (inactive)
- Schalamzaar Empire: New Swabia (inactive)
- Community of Landashir: Farwel-, Steventon-, Radford-, Nolan-, Hutchinson Island (inactive)
- Federal Republic of St.Charlie (inactive)
- Grand Duchy of Flandrensis: Carney-, Siple-, Maher-, Pranke-, Cherry Island (left the AMU in 2016)
- Grand Duchy of Westarctica: Marie Byrd Land (left the AMU in 2016)
- Kingdom of Ruthenia (left the AMU in 2016)
- Principality of Arkel: Dean Island (left the AMU in 2016)
- Reĝlando de la Glaciaj Homoj: Deception Island (inactive)
- Duchy of Campinia: Vollmer- and Moody Island (left the AMU in 2016)
- Pending members can contact the AMU on the official Facebookpage
During the years several Antarctic micronations disappeared or were disbanded. When a member of the AMU doesn't confirm their activity every 6 months, the Administrative-General can removes the nation from the AMU-administration.
When the AMU recognizes the territorial claims of a new member the applicant received an official certificate as prove of their membership and recognition by the Antarctic micronational community.
On 5 March 2010, the Secretary-General of the AMU started a discussion to stop further expansions of members on the Antarctic mainland. As result of this discussion the then Vice-Secretary, Nikola Lasica of the State of the People of West Antarctica, wrote an charter, later rewritten in 2011 by Niels of Flandrensis. The Charter contains the goals of the AMU, conditions for membership, territorial expantion and a manual on how to act as a micronationalist.
Since June 2013 the are no longer elections in the AMU, the last Secretary-General was Travis McHenry of the Grand Duchy of Westarctica. Since the reform of August 21, 2013 an Administrative-General is in charge of the organization. He is responsible for all territorial administration and communication with next Antarctic micronations, but he may only take decisions after consultation with other members.
- Administrative-General: Yaroslav Mar