Dominion of Zona
This article refers to a micronation or element of micronationalism which is defunct and no longer exists. You can help make the article reflect that or ask on the talk page for further information.
- This article is about Zona after its merger with Sirocco. For the former micronation, see Zonian Confederacy.
Dominion of Zona
|File:Cape Town, South Africa|
and largest city
|Official languages||English, Edallic, Krugarian|
|Establishment||March 21, 2012|
The Dominion of Zona, officially the Dominion of the Zonese Shogunate (Siroccan: Saftfiun [ur en] Zonia) and also known as the Zonese Shogunate, was a region of Sirocco that existed between 2012 and 2019. The region comprised the nation's three provinces located around Cape Town, South Africa - Chai, Konson and Zageta. Primarily based upon feudal Japanese culture, it had a system of government and society quite different from that of Sirocco itself.
In early 2012, the Zonian Confederacy investigated joining another micronation to arrest its slow decline. After having searched for other micronations to join, Zona's parliament voted to join Sirocco due to the closeness between the two states and the sharing of mutual ideas and ideologies. After Zona's ratification of the Treaty of Dawn on March 7, 2012 and the ratification of the Dominion of Zona Act 2012 on March 17, 2012, Zona was formally absorbed into Sirocco at midnight NZDT on March 21, 2012 (1pm SAST March 20, 2012).
Although Zona had been experiencing declining activity preceding its merger with Sirocco, for a brief period afterwards there was a rise in activity. By 2013 there was little (if any) activity in the provinces, and by 2015 proposals were being made to dissolve the provinces. After Sirocco's return from a three-year inactivity in 2019, one of the first actions taken was to pass legislation dissolving Zona. This legislation was passed on July 10, 2019, and came into effect one week later at midnight on July 16. The dissolution ended nearly ten years of Zonian micronationalism, and meant Sirocco was a solely New Zealand-based micronation for the first time in seven years.
- ↑ "Zona votes to join Sirocco" (March 6, 2012), The Sirocco Times, retrieved 2019-07-29.
- ↑ "Zona becomes Siroccan dominion" (March 21, 2012), The Sirocco Times, retrieved 2019-07-29.
- ↑ "Zona to be Dissolved, Returned to South Africa" (July 11, 2019), The Sirocco Times, retrieved 2019-07-29.
- ↑ "74th Year of the Atomic Calendar Opens to Music and Nuclear Explosions" (July 16, 2019), The Sirocco Times, retrieved 2019-07-29.