MicroWiki suffered a database corruption issue on 6 March and lost 24 hours worth of edits. Apologies for any disruption; we are looking into options of moving service to another provider.
For further information, please contact us on the Discord.
Micronations.wiki costs £160 per year to keep online.
Since we are unable to run advertisements, we ask that any users who are able to do so
make a contribution so that Microwiki may continue to survive and thrive. Thank you!
| Ultamian Katane |
|Official users||Kingdom of Michrenia|
|Pegged to||2 US dollars|
|Banknotes||t5, t10, t25, t50, K1, K5, K10, K20, K50, K100, K500, K1,000 (bank transactions only)|
The Ultamian Katane was the national currency of the Republic of Ultamiya. Currently in use by the Kingdom of Michrenia, it was introduced on April 21st, 2010, with denominations of 1, 5, and 10. One Katane is pegged to the value of 2 United States dollars. Its subunit is the Taneda.
While President David Salapa was browsing the internet, he came upon the Molossian Valora. Scanning the page, he agreed that Ultamiya should also have a national currency.. He drafted, with pen and crayon, Katane with denominations of 1, 5, and 10 on April 21st and taped them to some coins he found.
The following day, He then designed them in MS Paint and, by himself, printed, cut out, and glued all of the obverse and reverses to the selected coins. Though some flaws on the coins, like ripping, were noted, the national symbol and denomination were still visible on all of the coins.
President Salapa introduced the 20 Katane bill[ on May 21st, following a recommendation by an interviewer he was talking to. All the bills use tape to hold the obverse and reverse together, as to avoid the disaster the coins made of themselves. On May 28th, a week later, he made 6 of the bills, officially inaugurating the bill project. The 50 Katane was introduced on May 29th, and issued on June 7th. The 100 Katane was introduced on June 7th, and released on June 16th. The 500 Katane was introduced on June 16th, and was issued a week later.
On January 9th, 2011, Salapa announced the creation of a subunit, the Taneda. He issued the t50 coin that evening, and did the same with the t25 and t10 the next two. Like the bills, the coins are flat, with the sides taped together.
On March 28th, 2011, research began on a method to print bills with both obverse and reverse on one sheet. Salapa got right to work on this new development and began tinkering with the page setup options and tested until he could find working dimensions. The right combination was found at approximately 9:30 PM the next day, and was announced about 15 minutes later. The first bills to be mass produced using this method were 102 5 Katane bills, 6 being printed among 17 sheets. The new method reduced the time to mint 6 bills from 15 to 3 or 4 minutes, since no tape is required, and the paper needed by three quarters. President Salapa also announced that any new bills made with the tape method would be rendered null and void.
Though President Salapa was finished with his contributions to the Katane system, UAR Lieutenant General Michael Salapa wished to prove his bit as well. On February 25th, 2012, Michael visited the Government House with a proposal of making a K1,000 bill. The President quickly produced the bill on Paint and the two, continuously altering the margin dimensions, managed to match up the obverse and reverse after 17 attempts. The six bills were cut out and stored in the treasury.
Closer to midnight, the President announced that the bill would not be released to the public, and would only be used for bank transactions.
On September 14th, the 2012 Taneda Conversion Act was signed, converting all subunit denominations into bill format and adding a 5 Taneda denomination as the final expansion of the Katane. The bills were created and minted between September 14th and 15th.
Series 2010 (1st Edition)
Series 2011 (2nd Edition)
On February 13th, 2011, Salapa announced an update to all bills and the unit coins. These new bills were labeled as "Series 2011" since this was not a minor edit; there are many things that were changed with this update. For example, the numbers in the corners, the decorative borders, and the zeros in the large denomination were all standardized. Also, the reverse had been moderately revised. The update was mainly instilled to correct the pixelation on the Series 2010 bills as a result of their jpg format.
Created a year later, the 1000 Katane is still considered part of the 2nd Edition as it is in the exact same format and thus the same series (2011); the Taneda bills are also considered part of the 2nd Edition for the same reasons.
Series 2013 (3rd Edition)
The Series 2013 Katane was announced on January 11th, 2013 and is the third and last edition of Katane. The President planned a list of updates before the announcement and implemented some of them into the Series. The official start of the Series 2013 era was March 4th, but the Taneda denominations were never made.
- The color of the unit coin denominations came from the original poker chips they were minted on. All of the first issue 5 Katane coins, for example, are red-sided.
- The name, Katane, was written on the coins in Secret Language writing. The proposed currency symbol was the first letter of the currency as the name appears on the coins, though the plain letter was used in online discussion.
- The United States dollar remained legal tender inside Ultamian territory, as most residents of Ultamiya used it for trade and business inside the United States.
- It was originally planned to keep the total of the unit coins in Katane a secret, but it was discovered on the Ultamian website that the President revealed that, in a news article explaining the bill system, the coins were valued at under 300 Katane total. In a comment on an older article, it was revealed the exact total of the coins came to 281. Since there were not enough of these coins to be circulated, they were never considered in use.
- The issuing of the 2010 50 Katane is the only one recorded on video.
- For much of the first half of June, the Republic of Serius used the Ultamian Katane due to hyperinflation of the Serian Dollar. After reforming into the Republic of Sakasaria, they dropped the Katane.
- The Kingdom of Varina used the Katane until the completion of the Varinian Florin on April 20th, 2013.
References and notes
- Ultamiya News, "New Currency Proposed; US Dollar May Be Replaced". April 20th, 2010.
- Ultamiya News, "President Announces Katane Bill System". May 21st, 2010.
- Ultamiya News, "Katane Subunit Construction Underway". January 9th, 2011.
- Ultamiya News, "New Katane Minting Process; Revolution in Printing Technology". March 28th, 2011.
- Ultamiya News, "1000 Katane Introduced, Idea Michael's; Will Stay In Banks". February 25th, 2012.
- Ultamiya News, "Katane Subunit: Bills, Not Coins". September 14th, 2012.
- Ultamiya News, "Katane Unit Coins to Be Converted". February 13th, 2011.
- YouTube, "Minting the 50 Katane". February 2nd, 2011.