Imperial Grand Duchy of Lundenwic
Imperial Grand Duchy of Lundenwic
|'Motto: 'Non Terror!|
|Anthem: 1812 Overture|
|Government||Unitary parliamentary absolute monarchy|
• Prime Minister
|Lord Mike Lewis|
|Legislature||Parliament of Lundenwic|
|Establishment||28 December 2013|
|Currency||Imperial Pound (IP)|
Lundenwic, officially the Imperial Grand Duchy of Lundenwic, is a secretive, landlocked micronation situated in the London Borough of Hounslow and the London Borough of Hillingdon, United Kingdom. Lundenwic also has claims in Torrevieja and Grímsey. It was founded on the 27 December 2013 and declared independence a day later. It is currently comprised of three territories: Alderwick, Bedfunta and the capital New Charter. It also claims one autonomous territory, Isvik, and a military base, Arco Meditteraneo.
The Imperial Grand Duke acts as the head of state. They appoint the winner of the Lundenwic election as Prime Minister. The Prime Minister then appoints a cabinet, which forms the Parliament, with the approval of the Imperial Grand Duke. The constitution and declaration was approved by the first cabinet, commonly known as, the Provisional Lewis Cabinet.
Lundenwic is a secular state with only one official language, English. However, its culture is very diverse with influences from the UK, Ireland, Poland and Italy brought by the heritage of the founding members.
Alderwick, Letchworth, New Charter and North Hyde
Lundenwic used to be a part of Hounslow Heath which has had major historical importance, originally crossed by main routes from London to the west and southwest of Britain. There are several historic references to Roman camps on or close to the heath. Continuous recorded history dates back to Norman times. Oliver Cromwell stationed an army there at the end of the English Civil War in 1647. James II camped his army there, and conducted military exercises and mock battles to try to intimidate the population in London. In 1793, Hounslow Barracks was built as part of the preparations to meet a possible French invasion. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the heath was notorious as the haunt of highwaymen and footpads, the most infamous of which is Dick Turpin. By 1900, the heath was still in use as a training ground for horse-mounted cavalry based at Hounslow Barracks, a gun shooting range, and adjacent army medical units including an isolation hospital. After the outbreak of World War I in 1914, Hounslow Heath Aerodrome was established, that developed to become a fighter aircraft defence and training base. In 1919, the aerodrome became the sole London Terminal Aerodrome, and hosted the first scheduled daily international commercial air services. In 1920, it surrendered its role to Croydon Airport, and closed. The heath was then again used for military training and a repair depot.
Arco Mediterraneo and Sol Poniente
The territories of Arco Mediterraneo and Sol Poniente were originally part of Torrevieja, Spain. In Spanish, Torrevieja translates as ‘torre’ (tower) and ‘vieja’ (old). The name dates back to the late 1700s, when the only building on the site of the town was a guard tower. However, evidence has been found to suggest Roman settlements dating back to 500 BC.
The original concept for Lundenwic came from a podcast show that was run by the Imperial Grand Duke, Julian I and Lord Lewis, Marquis of New Charter called Don't Panic! Incorporated. This podcast was originally called 'Expressions' and is known to have been active from around May 2006. Between May and November 2006 it had become 'The Pseudo Democracy Podcasts' changing because the creators felt their posts were not very "expressive" and felt that a change was needed. By January 2007 it was again renamed and rebranded, this time to the 'The People's Lab'. This venture produced at least three known podcasts. In March 2009 the podcast had once again rebranded and calling itself 'Don't Panic! Incorporated'. This rebrand carried a nautical theme, personifying the podcast as a ship sailed by the hosts. Unlike the Lundenwic of today, Mike Lewis was seemingly in charge as Admiral while Julian was only Rear Admiral. Another two founders were given parts according to the website for participating in the 'Ale Campaign'. Emma Spencer was Second Lieutenant and Roberto Bruno was Midshipman. All four of these received awards for their participation in the campaign. The Don't Panic! Podcast was still being tested in 2013 and it was then that the idea of forming a Micronation was touted. The last post on the website was on 28 December 2013 which is the same day the Imperial Grand Duchy of Lundenwic declared independence.
Independence to Present
Lundenwic officially declared independence on the 28 December 2013. The declaration and subsequent constitution was approved by the 1st Provisional Government. The Provisional government was then made official by the Imperial Grand Duke's 1st Imperial Edict. It is known as the First Imperial Government or the First Lewis Government. It was during this time that the first Acts and Bills came in law with the Imperial Grand Duke's assent.
|Alderwick||28 December 2013||2||Earl of Alderwick|
|Letchworth||12 May 2019||6||N/A|
|New Charter||31 July 2014
(Ratified 28 November 2014)
|9||Marquis of New Charter|
|North Hyde||19 July 2019||4||N/A|
|Isvik||29 May 2015||61 (as of 2018)||Baron of Isa|
|Arco Mediterraneo||8 November 2014
(Ratified 28 November 2014)
Alderwick, Letchworth, New Charter and North Hyde
The home territories has a temperate oceanic climate, similar to all of southern Britain. Summers are generally warm and sometimes hot and winters are generally cool and damp with little temperature variation. Snowfall does occur from time to time, and can cause travel disruption when this happens. Spring and autumn are mixed seasons and can be pleasant.
|Climate data for New Charter (1981–2010, extremes 1948–present)|
|Record high °C (°F)||17.2
|Average high °C (°F)||8.1
|Average low °C (°F)||2.3
|Record low °C (°F)||-13.2
|Average Precipitation mm (inches)||55.2
|Average precipitation days (≥ 1.0 mm)||11.1||8.5||9.3||9.1||8.8||8.2||7.7||7.5||8.1||10.8||10.3||10.2||109.5|
Despite the northerly latitude, the climate is generally mild, because of the North Atlantic Current, which brings warm water from the Gulf of Mexico.
|Climate data for Isvik|
|Average high °C (°F)||0.6
|Average low °C (°F)||-5
|Average Precipitation mm (inches)||13
Köppen-Geiger climate classification system classifies its climate as hot semi-arid (BSh).
|Climate data for Arco Mediterraneo|
|Average high °C (°F)||16.2
|Daily mean °C (°F)||11.1
|Average low °C (°F)||6.1
|Average Precipitation mm (inches)||23.5
|Average rainy days||13||11||11||9||8||5||3||3||5||9||11||12||100|
Government and politics
Lundenwic is a monarchy with constitutional provisions. The head of state is the Imperial Grand Duke, and according to the constitution of Lundenwic, they are a symbol of its unity and the guarantee of national independence. The Imperial Grand Duke appoints the winner of the General Election as Prime Minister and then appoints all other ministers with the help of the new prime minister. The government created is known by the surname of the new prime minister and they are the one who organises parliamentary sittings.
The constitution was adopted shortly after the declaration of independence was signed by the provisional government. It is believed to have been based around the constitution of Luxembourg. The idea of the constitution was to name the first Imperial Grand Duke, but to also limit their power. The most important article is ARTICLE 35 which states 'All provisions of the Imperial Grand Duke require the countersignature of a responsible member of the Government'.
The Lundener unicarmeral Parliament consists of the Cabinet. There can be an infinite number of ministers and therefore an infinite number of members of Parliament. Ministers who haven't been in attendance at a sitting will be emailed all the proposals read and voted upon in the parliament. They then have the chance to vote on the proposals themselves. Their vote must be received within three days for it to count. Any time after that and it won't be recorded.
|Party Name||Logo||Members||Short name||Leader||Foundation Date||Position||Seats in Parliament||Members of Population|
|Democratic Reform Party||2||Democrats||The Rt. Hon. Roberto Bruno MP||15th June 2014||Center-Left|
|Free Fascist Party||3||Free Fascists||HG, General Michael Lewis, the Marquis of Charter||14th June 2014||Third Position|
Law and Order
Imperial Courts of Justice and Military Tribunals
The only court is the Imperial Court of Justice in which the Imperial Grand Duke is the de facto judge in all cases, unless he has appointed a representative. The Imperial Grand Duke has the power to appoint other judges but to date has not exercised this right. While the Imperial Courts of Justice handles all cases in Lundenwic, it does not conduct military tribunals. Military tribunals are exclusively the responsibility of the Minister of Defence.
The Bill of Criminal Law is the primary source of law in Lundenwic. There is no system of judicial precedent, giving judges the power to use independent legal reasoning to make a decision. Because the judge is empowered to disregard previous judgements (either his own or of other judges) and may apply his personal interpretation of the Bill of Criminal Law to any case means divergence can arise in identical cases.
Lundenwic currently has no police force which according to the Security and Defence Act 2014 means the Minister of Defence and the army are in charge of law enforcement. The crime rate in Lundenwic is extremely low, with no crimes having ever been reported.
The Imperial Grand Duke is the Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Armed Forces. However, the Imperial Armed Forces is mainly run by two Generals. The first is the Prime Minister, Lord Gen. Michael Lewis, the Marquis of Charter who is nicknamed the 'Armchair General'. He is known to handle the paperwork, reports and intelligence side of the armed forces. The Minister of Defence the Rt. Hon. Gen. Emma Spencer MP is the second General. She handles all of the security, training and deals with the troops directly.
|Rank||Code||Abbreviation||No. Allowed||Current Title Holders|
|Commander-in-Chief||N/A||N/A||1||Julian I, Imperial Grand Duke of Lundenwic|
|General||IAF1||Gen.||2||HG, Gen. Michael Lewis, Marquis of New Charter|
The Rt. Hon. Gen. Emma Spencer MP
|Marshal of Lundenwic
|IAF3||Mshl.||∞||Oscar I, King of Ruthenia|
|Colonel||IAF4||Col.||∞||Col. Mick Lewis|
|Private 1st Class||IAF8C||1st Pvt.||∞||Unknown|
|Private 2nd Class||IAF8B||2nd Pvt.||∞||Unknown|
Lundenwic remains a secular and secretive micro nation and as such has not had much contact with other nations/micro nations. Below is listed nations with which the Imperial Grand Duchy has signed a treaty:
- Kingdom of Ruthenia - 20 December 2014 (New treaty signed on 30 May 2016)
- Usian Republic - 8 February 2015
- Imvrassia - 23 May 2015
- South Maudlandia - 16 June 2015
- Tsardom of Nolland - 20 July 2015
- Confederation of Leylandiistan & Gurvata - 22 September 2015
- Orfalia - 23 September 2015
- Commonwealth of Archmidian - 3 October 2015
- Grand Duchy of Letzembourg - 28 December 2015 (Treaty voided on 19 May 2016 when Letzembourg joined the Karno-Ruthenian Empire)
- Republic of Mcarthia - 30 January 2016
- Nedland - 16 May 2016
- Duchy of Hodiny - 17 May 2016
- Karnia-Ruthenia - 30 May 2016
- Federal Republic of Breckland - 6 June 2016
- Popular Union of Occitania - 2 August 2016
- Geovannian Union - 21 October 2016
- Most Serene Empire of Azzurria - 25 October 2016
- Shorewell - 20 November 2016
- Nossia - 20 November 2016
- Kingdom of Coria - 8 February 2017
- Adammia - 30 July 2017
- State of Koss - 13 September 2017
- Aarianian Union of North America - 20 April 2018
- Kingdom of North Barchant - 9 November 2020
- State of Vishwamitra - 9 May 2021
- Ebenthal - 7 August 2021
- Austenasia - 14 August 2021
- Empire of Lehmark - 12 September 2021
Mutually Recognised Nations
- Principality of Surland - 14 July 2015
- Principality of Ongal - 10 August 2015
- Grand Emirate of Raphania - 31 October 2021
- Universal Triumvirate - Recognised the Imperial Grand Duchy of Lundenwic on the 14th of September 2015
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (September 2022)
- A Declaration of Independence by the Imperial Grand Duchy of Lundenwic, Imperial Grand Duchy of Lundenwic, Retrieved 27 May 2014
- Constitution of the Imperial Grand Duchy of Lundenwic, Imperial Grand Duchy of Lundenwic, Retrieved 27 May 2014
- "Lyson, Daniel. 1795. Heston, The Environs of London: vol. 3: County of Middlesex, pp. 22-45.", british-history.ac.uk, Retrieved 27 May 2014
- Maxwell (1949)
- Sherwood (1999)
- 5 facts you might not know about Torrevieja, LosLocosBeach.com, Retrieved 18 Aug 2021
- The History of Torrvieja, Murcia Today, Retrieved 18 Aug 2021
- Expressions, Musings of Mike blog, Retrieved 05 Jun 2021
- It’s Gone?, Musings of Mike blog, Retrieved 05 Jun 2021
- This Has, Been Said, So Many Times That I’m Not Sure If It Matters!, Musings of Mike blog, Retrieved 5 Jun 2021
- The New Podcast!, Musings of Mike blog, Retrieved 5 Jun 2021
- Podcast #2, Musings of Mike blog, Retrieved 5 Jun 2021
- Third Podcast Be Settin’ Sail, Musings of Mike blog, Retrieved 5 Jun 2021
- Don't Panic! Inc, YouTube, Retrieved 5 Jun 2021
- @DPIncorporated, Twitter, Retrieved 6 Jun 2021
- About Us, Don't Panic! Podcast website, Retrieved 6 Jun 2021
- Admiral Mike Lewis, Don't Panic! Podcast website, Retrieved 7 Jun 2021
- Rear Admiral Julian Sharma, Don't Panic! Podcast website, Retrieved 7 Jun 2021
- Second Lieutenant Emma Spencer, Don't Panic! Podcast website, Retrieved 7 Jun 2021.
- Midshipman Roberto Bruno, Don't Panic! Podcast website, Retrieved 7 Jun 2021.
- Test, Don't Panic! Podcast website, Retrieve 8 Jun 2021.
- "London Heathrow Airport climate", Met Office, Retrieved 17 May 2016
- "Heathrow Airport Extreme Vaslues", Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute, Retrieved 17 May 2016
- "Historical Weather for Grimsey, Iceland", Weatherbase, Retrieved 17 May 2016
- "AEMET", Spanish Meteorology Agency, Retrieved 17 May 2016
- Parliamentary Procedures Bill, Imperial Grand Duchy of Lundenwic, Retrieved 31 May 2014
- Bill of Criminal Law, Imperial Grand Duchy of Lundenwic, Retrieved 07 June 2014
- Security and Defence Act 2014, Imperial Grand Duchy of Lundenwic, Retrieved 07 June 2014
- Maxwell, Gordon S. 1949. Highwayman's Heath: The Story in Fact and Fiction of Hounslow Heath in Middlesex. Thomasons ISBN 1-899144-00-5
- Sherwood, Tim. 1999. Coming in to Land: A Short History of Hounslow, Hanworth and Heston Aerodromes 1911-1946. Heritage Publications (Hounslow Library) ISBN 1-899144-30-7