|— Town —|
|Nickname(s): The Jewel of the South|
|Motto: Familia ante Omnia
(Latin: "Family above All")
|Country||Kingdom of Lytera|
|Founded||28 January 2020|
|- Council Member (Mayor)||Countess Sheila of Lytera|
|- Landed Noble||Earl John Sr.|
|- Total||0.00033 km2 (0 sq mi)|
|- Summer (DST)||BST (UTC+1)|
Crown Dependency of Darin (2015-20)
Crown Dependency of Shirley (2014-15)
Baknsburg (Pronounced Back-ns-burg) is a town of the Kingdom of Lytera and the home of two members of the Royal House of Banks. The town is the most southern part of the Kingdom, and the only part outside the province of Greater Cavendish
Baknsburg is an intentional misspelling of the House of Banks's house name, made to sound more interesting. The burg comes the Germanic influence of Lytera, and fits due to the location of the town, being fortified in it's location.
The area which is now known as Baknsburg has existed since around the 1000's. Baknsburg is located in the former village of Shirley. Shirley was recorded as a manor with a mill in the Domesday Book; the mill standing to the west of the present Romsey Road/Winchester Road junction, at the confluence of the Hollybrook and Tanner's Brook streams. Shirley Mill had three large ponds, to the north of Winchester Road. One of the three mill ponds remains today, accessed by following the Lordswood Greenway.
In 1228, Nicholas de Sirlie, lord of Shirley, surrendered rights to Southampton Common in return for a small payment and the agreement that the Burgesses of Southampton had no rights of common over the land that would later become Shirley Common. In the nineteenth century an iron works was built, which was converted into a brewery in 1880 and subsequently into a laundry at the beginning of the 20th century. The laundry was owned by Royal Mail and used to service the mail ships visiting Southampton.
The stream from the mill crossed over the Romsey Road until it was culverted under the major traffic junction which stands there, and continues to the Test to the east of modern Tebourba Way, open in parts and culverted in others. A second mill was built at what is now the junction of Oakley Road and Tebourba Way. This site was later a paint factory known as Atlantic Works and mill buildings survive in commercial use on both sides of Oakley road astride the old mill leat.
The district grew rapidly in the 1830s following the enclosure of Shirley Common. The Hampshire Chronicle announced in April 1830 that "Several elegant villas are about to be erected on Shirley Common" On the 28 November 1830 in the context of the Swing riots there was a non violent protest in Shirley and Millbrook by labourers demanding increased wages. The parish church was built in 1836. Shirley became apart of Southampton in 1895.
When Lytera found itself alone following the Great Ruislip War, it began to look towards it's family members living outside Ruislip for support in staying active. In 2014, the Crown Dependency of Shirley, renamed in 2015 to Darin, was founded, though it's status was ambiguous until the Act of Annexation & Territory Status 2019, which officially gave it it's status as a Crown Dependency.
In 2020, it was the first of the Crown Dependencies to become a town as part of the Rising Sun Initiative's first Five Year plan. Due to it's low population, it was granted an exemption from the mandatory election laws due to family relations.
|Number||Picture||Name||Political party||Took office||Left office||Notes|
|1||Countess Sheila of Lytera||Independent
|28 Jan 2020||Incumbent||Acted as Council Representative of the Crown Dependency of Darin, Head of Diplomacy.|
|Climate data for Baknsburg|
|Average high °C (°F)||8.4
|Average low °C (°F)||2.9
|Source: Met Office(data from 1981-2010)|