Micronations.wiki costs £160 per year to keep online.
Since we are unable to run advertisements, we ask that any users who are able to do so
make a contribution so that Microwiki may continue to survive and thrive. Thank you!
Republic of Lostisland
|This article or section is in the middle of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this articlehas not been edited in several days, please remove this template.|
| Republic of Lostisland |
Республика Лостайленд (ru)
In nomine libertatis
National Anthem of the Republic of Lostisland
Claims of Lostisland
|Official language(s)||Russian, English|
|Demonym||Lostislandian (nationality), Lostislandic (adjective)|
|- Captain Regent||Yaroslav Mar|
|- Captain Regent||Alexander Karapavlovič|
|Legislature||Parliament of Lostisland|
|- Type||- unicameral|
|Established||2nd Jule 2008 (RPG)|
1st—4th September 2010 (virtual state)
11th March 2011 (statecraft project)
|Time zone||(UTC±0 to +1)|
|This nation is a member of theSU, UAMW, MPR, IBCBCM, MCS, LOC and the GUM|
Lostisland, officially the Republic of Lostisland (Russian: Республика Лостайленд) is a new nation project generally classified as a micronation, with aims to achieve the independence and sovereignty of the Hunter Island in the South Pacific and nearby islands.
Being originally established in Russia, the Republic of Lostisland now consists of citizens from all over the world, including countries like France, Poland, Britain, Usa, Canada, Israel, India and Philippines. A highly-respected member of the Russophone micronational community, Lostisland has been described as an example for all micronations.
In July 2012, the Ministry of Transport for the Republic of Lostisland organized a vessel expedition to Hunter Island, which is thought to be the first and only such event happening within the MicroWiki Community and one of the few ones in modern micronational history.
- 1 History
- 2 Politics
- 3 Foreign relations
- 4 National holidays
- 5 Economy
- 6 Culture
- 7 Media
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
RPG era and the first steps
The predecessor of Lostisland—an RPG with the same name was founded at July 2nd 2008 by a group of Russian students. Being constantly developed during the first two years, it entered a deep crisis in 2010. Understanding the needness of reorganizations, the Administrators decided to turn it into a something new and almost unknown in Russia—a virtual state. After a half-year preparations, in September 2010 was officially established the Republic of Lostisland. Two of the Administrators, Yaroslav Mar and Stepan Ignatiev became the Captains Regent (Heads of State) of the newborn nation.
At September 3rd 2010 the accepted constitution of the Republic of Lostisland has been published at the official website. Soon after declaring independence Lostisland established many intermicronational relations with Russian and foreign micronations. October 23rd 2010 during the celebration of the birthday of Captain Regent Stepan Ignatiev was signed and stamped with the State Seal the first Certificate of Citizenship.
The treson of Tishkevicius
At the very beginning of its independent existence Lostisland became involved in a political crisis. October 25th, 2010 Lostislandic citizenship has been granted to Theodore Tishkevicius. The next day Tishkevicius was appointed to the post of the Minister of Foreign Affairs. However, November 6th Tishkevicius declared the establishment of a new micronation, independent from Lostisland. Immediately Tishkevicius was dismissed from the post of the Minister of Foreign Affairs and deprived from Lostislandic citizenship. This forced Captain Regent Yaroslav Mar to make an official statement:
|“|| As a Captain Regent of the Republic of Lostisland I inform all our citizens and foreigners who have affairs with our nation, that Theodore Tishkevicius, our Minister of Foreign Affairs has been dismissed from his post and deprived of Lostislandic citizenship for the high treson and separatist activities, aimed at the destruction of Lostislandic statehood, perpetrated by separationing from Lostisland and claiming his own independent state. I ask all friendly to us states and their official representatives on Lostisland not to recognize the "state" of T. Tishkevicius, if he will get in touch with you or your diplomatic organizations. We will keep the public informed of developments, watch for news on our site. Please do not panic, the situation is under control.
—Official statement of Captain Regent Yaroslav Mar, November 6th, 2011
All foreign relations of Lostisland had been handed over to Captains Regent until the appointment of the new minister. However, soon was made an investigation of the Tishkevicius's activities, which showed that it is nothing more then a seventh-world stuff:
|“|| After a investigation, made by Lostislandic government to ascertain the situation about former minister T. Tishkevicius, we knew, that his "nation" is just seventh-world stuff, which can't be dangerous for our statehood. Also, Tishkevicius is not a complete fool, so he can reorganize his nation to more serious project. We'll still keep condicting surveillances.
Joining the Single Union
In November 2010 Lostisland started cooperation with the Single Union—first Russophone confederation of micronations. Thus, November 5th Lostisland recognized all members of the Union. Several days after, November 13th Lostisland joined the Single Union as a full member. This helped Lostisland to improve its positions in the Russophone micronational community, but seriously limited the possibilities of establishing diplomatic relations—according to the Memorandum of association of the Single Union, only the High Board has a right of establishing new diplomatic relations. This restriction was withdrawn only after a year.
Immediately after joining the Single Union, Lostisland became involved in the intermicronational crisis, later named Bananagate. It started when the ally of Lostisland, the Banana Republic of Can Orlantrix's Libertarians (BRoCOLi), published on its official website an article, which offended Pope Benedict XVI. A few days after that, the formal complaint letter was sent by Captains Regent, asking the removal of insults to the Pope in your site as inciting religious hater in order to preserve friendly relations. This letter was reject by the BRoCOLi's officials, and another press release was posted on the BRoCOLi's website. At the next day Lostisland broked all relationship with BRoCOLi was terminated.
- November 7th, 2010—first press release published on the website of the Banana Republic;
- November 13th, 2010—complaint letter from the Captains Regent of Lostisland is sent;
- November 15th, 2010—the BRoCOLi declined the Lostislandic complaints, another press release is published;
- November 16th, 2010—relationships between Lostisland and BRoCOLi are broken, both Republics are publishing press releases. Termination of the Bananagate.
Acquisition of the territory
For many months since its foundation, the territorial question was very important for Lostisland. It seemed to be nearly insoluble, because the Captains Regent firmly decided not to claim land, which already is under the sovereignty of other nation. However, find the unclaimed land seemed to be unresolvable.
Luckily for Lostisland, in March 2011 Dr. Ilya Pakhomov informed Captain Regent Yaroslav Mar that in the South Pacific still exists an island, which belongs to noone. It was the Hunter Island. According to the studies, this volcanic arduous piece of land with no water on it was not interesting for the great marine superpowers like the United Kingdom, France etc. This led to the island designated on some maps as French, on the others as British and on others was not mentioned at all. When in the 1980 the New Hebrides received independence, the Hunter Island had not been submitted to the newly-founded Republic of Vanuatu, and remained unclaimed for more than 20 years.
To activate the sovereignty over this island, Lostislandic officials had to firstly disestablish the nation and then re-establish it on the Hunter Island—otherwise it will look like illegal occupation. For this reason the brilliant diplomatic operation was carried out:
- February 28th, 2011—by the Order of Captains Regent the majority of Lostislandic citizens are declared as absent, so that only the Captains Regent remain active;
- March 2nd, 2011—the Universal referendum for the disestablishment of Lostisland is opened;
- March 7th, 2011—the referendum is closed because all active citizens voted on it; 100% voted for the disestablishment.
- March 9th, 2011—the Declaration of the disestablishment of Lostisland is published; according to the p. 4
|“|| The Republic of Lostisland may be reestablished in any time.
—Declaration of the disestablishment of Lostisland
- March 11th, 2011—the Declaration of independence of the Republic of Lostisland is published; according to it, the Republic of Lostisland was declared as a successor of the Republic of Lostisland and as its territory was proclaimed the Hunter Island.
After that operation, the Lostislandic claims over the Hunter Island were legally activated. Later all citizens were again declared as active.
Several weeks after the aquisition of territory, the Republic of Chernorus, at that time already defunct Russophone micronation, decided to merge with the Republic of Lostisland. An appeal to the Captains Regent was published by President Alexey Lavrov, and at April 20th the Declaration on entering was published. According to it, the Republic of Chernorus was renamed to the Province of Orley, and later to the Orley Strip. President Alexey Lavrov received a title of the Grand Moff of the Orley Strip. A territory on the Hunter Island was given to the newly-founded province.
For more information, visit Orley Crisis
When Orley became part of Lostisland, the Captains Regent made all possible to improve the quality of life of Orleans. But as it was later discovered, Alexey Lavrov was a traitor and renegade, and tried to separate the Strip from Lostisland and give it to another nation. The crisis, which happened after that, was the most serious in the Lostislandic history.
- August 1st, 2011—Lavrov ends secret negotiations with Artem I, head of state of the Principality of Victoria. The Decree about the Orley Strip is published by the Victorian government, according to which the Orley Strip secedes from Lostisland and becomes part of the Principality of Victoria. The Extreme Statement of Captains Regent is published, with a secession declared invalid.
- August 2nd, 2011—Captains Regent are publishing the Normative Act, again declaring the secession as invalid. With the Order of Captains Regent, Alexey Lavrov is deprived from Lostislandic citizenship. Captains Regent are appointing themselves as a Interim Governors of the Strip. Orley is declared being a restricted area with the prohibition of economic activities. With the next Order the presence on the territory of the Strip is prohibited without an appropriate permit.
- August 9th, 2011—Captain Regent Stepan Ignatiev is publishing an official statement, expressing the readiness to defend the Strip until the bitter end. Two hours later the Prince of Victoria annuled the Decree about the Orley Strip, and gave an official apology to the Government of Lostisland. The conflict was over.
The new era
Despite the opposite being always stated by the Lostislandic governmental officials and the significant influence the nation gained within the Russophone community, by the second half of 2011 it became obvious that Lostisland is in decline, with old citizens losing their interest in the project and very few new citizenship applications being received. After a telephone call between the two Captains Regent, Mar and Ignatiev realized that the main reason for problems Lostisland is facing now is the obsolete material and technical basis, which makes the Republic being non-attractive for foreigners. To overcome it, the Captains Regent decided to attract additional funds of the development of the Lostislandic nation. The first fruits of it appeared in December 2011.
New Coat of ArmsStepan Ignatiev, has been always treatened with the greatest of positive, the Coat of Arms in its turn, has been criticised many times for unprofessionalism and poor quality. That leaded to the Captains Regent starting a public tender for the right to design the new Coat of Arms of Lostisland. The tender, which was hold on the platform of Free-Lance, biggest Russian Internet-based web-market of freelancers, was attended by thirty designers of Russia and former USSR countries, out of which the Captains Regent choosed the offer of Ukranian designer Max Nazarenko, which was the best in terms of price and quality. New Coat of Arms has been accepted by the December 27, 2011.
Within the territory of the Republic of Lostisland are registered two political parties: Communist Party of Lostisland, lead by Matthew Burklandssen, and the Lostislandic National Congress, founded after the unification of the Democratic and Republican parties. The governmental system of the Republic of Lostisland is divided in three branches: Executive, Legislative, and Judicial powers. The Executive power belongs to the Captains Regent and the Ministries, the Legislative power to the Parliament of Lostisland and the Judicial power to the Supreme Court, lead by the Chief Judge.
The Government of the Republic of Lostisland is made up of the following persons:
The foreign policy
The majority of the foreign relations of Lostisland were established before it joined the Single Union, because the Memorandum on Association of this organization have not allowed to the SU member nations exercicing their own policy. This lasted until December 9th 2011, when the Resolution №49 HB SU gave to the member nations the freedom of foreign policy.
Since December 9th 2011 Lostisland is again free in establishing diplomatic relations, and is open to cooperation with any nation or micronation which corresponds to the requirements of the Lostislandic Ministry of Foreign Affairs:
|“|| - It is a real nation. It can be exterritorial, but it must be an independent state with government. It can't be a RPN (role-play nation).
- In this nation there aren't any fascist or other aggressive ideology.
—Requirements for recognition of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lostisland
- Aerican Empire, since the 27th of September 2010
- Republic of Atlantis, since the 30th of September 2010
- Free Republic of Alcatraz, since 25th of October 2010
- Federal Republic of St.Charlie, since the 30th of October 2010
- Baltic Principality, since the 31st of October 2010
- Kingdom of Truth, since the 8th of November 2010
- Kingdom of Weissland, since the 4th of December 2010
- Promolands Micronation, since the 15th of February 2011
- United Territories of Sky Haven, since the 21st of May 2011
- Federal Republic of Grunkia, since the 29th of May 2011
- Principality of Antarksas, since the 24th of July 2011
- Dictatorship of Victoria, since the 21st of October 2011
- Princedom of Aysellant, since the 26th of November 2011
- Federal Republic of Los Bay Petros, since the 12th of December 2011
- Republic of Libertas, since the 26th of December 2011
- Republic of Pannonia, since the 27th of December 2011
- Marxist People's Republic of Burkland, since the 28th of December 2011
- Dale Republic, since the 4th of January 2012
- Kingdom of Cattimondo, since the 14th of January 2012
- Kadmurian Empire, since the 2nd of February 2012
- Sovereign Military Roman Hadrian Order, since the 23rd of February 2012
- Grand Duchy of Flandrensis, since the 15th of April 2012
- Free Pristinian Republic, since the 17th of April 2012
- Republic of Indokistan, since the 19th of April 2012
- Republic of Padrhom, since the 18th of May 2012
- Empire of Gordjan, since the 12 of June 2012
- Kingdom of Überstadt, since the 13 of June 2912
- Republic of Gerenia, since the 29 of July 2012
- Federal Commonwealth of Sirocco, since the 16 of August 2012
- Confederation of Saint Luke and Amager, since the 26 of August 2012
- Kingdom of Ruritania, since the 8th of September 2012
- Republic of Molossia, since the 26th of September 2010
- Republic of Ultamiya, since the 27th of December 2011
- Empire of Austenasia, since the 1st of April 2012
- Banana Republic of Can Orlantrix's Libertarians, relations broken since the 17th of November 2010
- Slinky Empire, disestablished since 17th of January 2011
|Date||English Name||Russian Name||Remarks|
|1 January||New Year's Day||Новый Год|
|7 January||Orthodox Christmas||Православное Рождество||Christmas in the Julian Calendar|
|11 March||Day of the Acquisition of the Territory||День Обретения Территории||Anniversary of the declaration of sovereignty over the Hunter Island|
|7 April||Birthday of Gracey||День Рождения Грейси||Birthday of Gracey, cat of the Captain Regent Stepan Ignatiev|
|22 April||Birthday of Captain Regent Yaroslav Mar||День Рождения Капитана-регента Ярослава Мара|
|6 May||Birthday of Zygmunt Knuszevicky||День Рождения Сигизмунда Кнушевицкого||Birthdat of Zygmunt Kniszevicky, cat of the Captain Regent Yaroslav Mar|
|9 May||Victory Day||День Победы||Anniversary of the victory over the Third Reich|
|2 July||Day of Lostisland||День Лостайленда||Anniversary of the foundation of Lostisland|
|1—4 September||Independence Days||Дни Независимости||Anniversary of the proclamation of independence of Lostisland|
|23 October||Birthday of the Captain Regent Stepan Ignatiev||День Рождения Капитана-регента Степана Игнатьева|
|29 October||Day of the MFA workers||День работников МИД||In honor of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lostisland (anniversary of foundation)|
|5 December||Day of the media workers||День работников печати||In honor of the media of the Republic of Lostisland (anniversary of foundation of the Northern Herald|
|15 December||Day of the MI workers||День работников МВД||In honor of the Ministry of the Interior of the Republic of Lostisland (anniversary of foundation)|
|25 December||Catholic Christmas||Католическое Рождество||Christmas on the Gregorian calendar|
From 2010 to 2012 the economical system of the Republic was based on the one of Single Union, which implies the usage of universal currency Eus. However, the inactivity of the SU, which started in late 2011, leaded to the Lostislandic officials seeking for an alternative. First announcement about the implementation of a national currency Real has been made by Captain Regent Stepan Ignatiev in May 2012. Meanwhile, as the actual coins and banknotes are yet not issued, as an accounting unit citizens of Lostisland use postage stamps, issued by Post of Lostisland.
Several companies and organizations, registered within the territory of Lostisland, are usually either defunct or moribund, which makes the home policy of the Republic being one of the most urgent issues to be resolved.
The culture of the Republic of Lostisland has been constantly developed since 2008, which lead Lostisland being not only a political, but a serious cultural project.
The process of the development of the National symbols of the Republic of Lostisland took many years. The National Anthem, composed by Stepan Ignatiev, was introduced in 2009. The current flag, which replaced the old one, was introduced in September 2010. At The current Coat of arms, developed by a famous Ukranian designer Max Nazarenko, was introduced at December 28th 2011, finishing the process of the development of the National symbols.
The Lostislandic Language, firstly introduced by Stepan Ignatiev in 2009, is an artificial language, which is planned to be proclaimed as official as soon as it will be enough developed. The Vocabulary and Grammar of the Lostislandic Language are based on Romanian origins, and new words are being introduced each week on the Forum of the project.
Since the very beginning of its independent existence, the Republic of Lostisland started producing souvenirs with its own symbolics, such as mugs and T-shorts. Also these items are not yet available for sale, they are usually granted to the friends and citizens of the Republic.
The musical heritage of the Republic of Lostisland mostly consists of compositions of the Captain Regent Stepan Ignatiev, who wrote many musical masterpieces, including the National anthem of Lostisland. However, many citizens of Lostisland are musicians too, including the Captain Regent Yaroslav Mar, who is a violinist.
The Lostislandic cinema was born on May 16th 2011, when first Lostislandic movie company—Melany Movies was registered. At May 23rd 2011 the first movie, Fahrenheit 451 was presented in Moscow. This movie, which attracted to Lostisland the attention of all Russophone micronations, is thought to be one of the most important heritages of Lostislandic culture.
The Lostislandic literature consists of several stories, written by citizens of the Republic, the most important of which is thought to be "The Ticket to Nowhere", written by Lostislandic Minister of the Interior Valery Vasarjavichute.
Lostisland a joint newspaper with the Northern Empire – it is called Northern Herald. It is the only English newspaper, which tells about news and events in Russian micronational life. Also there is a broadcaster TVL, which tells the news of the Republic.
- Hunter Island section of Matthew and Hunter Island - Wikipedia, retrieved April 1, 2012.
- (Russian) Посольство Республики Лостайленд - Княжество Балтия
- Lostislandic expedition gets to Hunter
- Act of recognition of the members of Single Union, Republic of Lostisland
- Lostisland enters to the Single Union, Republic of Lostisland
- http://republicoflostisland.com/forum/56-41-908-16-1323550481 Resolution #49 R-09/12/11 on the Amendments to the MoA SU, Forum of the Headquarters of the Single Union
- Official Press Release on the visit of their Shameless Pope Benedict 1.6, Banana Republic of Can Orlantrix's Libertarians
- On the visit of the bishop of Rome and the BRoCOLi’s sovereignty, Banana Republic of Can Orlantrix's Libertarians
- We break relations with BRoCOLi, Republic of Lostisland
- Official press release: the Republic of Lostisland breaks diplomatic relations with the BRoCOLi, Banana Republic of Can Orlantrix's Libertarians
- Order of Captains Regent from 28th February 2011-OCR1, Republic of Lostisland
- Declaration of disestablishing Lostisland, Republic of Lostisland
- Declaration of independence of the Republic of Lostisland, Republic of Lostisland
- Указ об Орлейском Секторе, Княжество Виктория,
- Extreme Statement of Captains Regent, Republic of Lostisland
- Normative Act about the separation of the Orley Strip, Republic of Lostisland
- ORD CAR 06|02|08|11, Republic of Lostisland
- ORD CAR 07|02|08|11, Republic of Lostisland
- Appeal of Captain Regent Stepan Ignatiev to Lostislandic people, Republic of Lostisland
- (Russian) Государственный герб - фриланс, удаленная работа на Free-lance.ru
- ORD CAR 16|27|12|11: New Coat of Arms accepted - Republic of Lostisland
- Resolution #49 R-09/12/11 on the Amendments to the MoA SU, Single Union
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of Lostisland
- Stepan Ignatiev on YouTube
- Премьера фильма "451 по Фаренгейту" (Russian only) - Republic of Lostisland
- Official Website of the Republic of Lostisland
- Forum of the Republic of Lostisland
- Official Website of the Single Union
Republic of Lostisland