National Bank of Istria
|National Bank of Istria|
Banca Națională a Republicii Istriei
Banca Nazionale della Repubblica Istriana
|Logo of the bank|
|National Bank of||Republic of Istriei|
The National Bank of Istria (Romanian: Banca Națională a Republicii Istriei, Italian: Banca Nazionale della Repubblica Istriana), also known as BNI, is the central bank of Istria and was established in December 2005. Its headquarters are located in the capital city of Hamburg.
The National Bank of Istria is responsible for the issue of the Istrian dinar and as such it sets the monetary policy, holds the currency reserves and manages the exchange rate.
The main tasks of the National Bank of Istria are the following:
- to define and implement the monetary policy and the exchange rate policy;
- to conduct the authorisation, regulation and prudential supervision of credit institutions and to promote and oversee the smooth operation of the payment systems with a view to ensuring financial stability;
- to issue banknotes and coins as legal tender on the territory of Istria;
- to set the exchange rate regime and to supervise its observance;
- to manage the official reserves of Istria.