Constitution of the Confederation of Awesome
The Constitution of the Confederation of Awesome is the supreme law in the Confederation of Awesome. The Constitution specifies the framework of government for the Confederation of Awesome, as well as the powers of the confederal and provincial governments. The Constitution specifies the nation's government under a congress of one representative from each province, as well as an appointed Judicial Branch in the Supreme Justice, and a cabinet. The Constitution leaves powers not dictated to the confederal government to the provinces, which establishes a confederal government. The Constitution of the Confederation was adopted on January 21, 2011. It has been amended once, and holds a central place in the political landscape of the Confederation of Awesome.
Background and Drafting
The Declaration of Confederation served as a statement of independence for the Confederation, and half the text of the document created a provisional governmental system that would run the country until a full Constitution was passed. It was proposed in a Confederation Congress meeting in November that the nation should have a full Constitution. Prime Minister Brendon Weston, of the province of Samia, began creating one himself. Before putting it toward Confederation Congress, he asked HRM Dave I to read and revise it. Given that there would not be a Congress meeting again until January 19, the Samian States ratified the Constitution on January 1, 2010, making them the first province to do so, and Davetopia followed suit on January 7. The Constitution only needed three out of four provinces to agree to it, however, at the Confederation Congress on January 21,both Emiri and Nickoli ratified the Constitution, making it law.
- Titles nation as the "Confederation of Awesome," and ensures that the union will be perpetual.
- Creates Confederation Congress and defines its powers- as a unicameral legislature of one representative from each province. Defines the Congress' powers, sets the supermajorities needed to pass amendments, impeachments, or declarations of war, creates a population based system used to break tie votes, and ensures the equal level of power of all members of Congress.
- Establishes the cabinet as an advisory body to Congress and defines its positions and their roles and powers.
- Defines the judicial branch of government as a congressionally appointed Supreme Justice as the final word in disputes, and allows the creation of subordinate courts.
- Lists the powers held exclusively by the confederal government- to levy taxes, raise an army for national defense, and engage in diplomacy with other nations. Includes an elastic clause that allows Congress to "take any action generally aprooved of by the people that will provide for the common betterment of the citizens of the Confederation."
- Ensures that all powers not dicated to the confederal government are given to the provinces. Contains a provision allowing freedom of movement between all provinces.
- Creates a capitol territory for the nation and sets the 60% supermajority needed to annex or create a new province.
- A list of rights ensured to all citizens of the Confederation- the freedom of speech, expression, the press, religion, and the bearing of arms. Protects against unreasonable search and seizure or cruel and unusual punishment, and ensures a fair and speedy trial for all citizens. States that rights might exist that are not specified in this article.
- Allows for anyone to become a citizen with the aprooval of one leader.
- States that the Constitution is the highest law in the land and the official government of the Confederation.
Amendments to the Constitution
- First Amendment (2011)- repeals Article II, section 2, which defines the population based tie-breaking system. States, that, in the event of a tie vote in Congress, a referendum of all citizens would take place.
- http://confedofawesome.webs.com/constitution.htm- Full Text of the Constitution
http://confedofawesome.webs.com- National Website
mailto:email@example.com- national email