President of the Republic of Aswington
|President of the Republic of Aswington|
|Term length||Two years, renewable|
|Inaugural holder||Juan Cisneros|
|Formation||20 January 2019|
About the Office
According to the Constitution, to be President of the Republic, a person must be a citizen of the republic, must be sixteen years old, and be a layperson.
Powers and duties
The President is the head of the state. Is tasked with representing the country, ensuring the integrity of the constitution, and executing the functions of the state and its laws.
Other duties of the president are, according to the Constitution:
- Manages the domestic and diplomatic politics of the state.
- Represents the country in international relations, signs diplomatic treaties, submits treaties to the National Assembly for ratification.
- Serves as Commander-in-Chief of the Aswington Defence Forces.
- Calls for extraordinary sessions in the National Assembly.
- Presents his anual message to the National Assembly.
- Can veto proposed laws or decrees of the National Assembly.
- Dissolve the National Assembly in strictly necessary cases.
- Appoints or removes the diplomatic representatives of the Republic of Aswington in other countries.
- Establish states of alert, emergency or martial laws in the country, in strictly necessary cases.
- Grant pardons and amnesties.
- Awards state decorations or military ranks.
The President in turn is responsible for his actions according to the Constitution and the law.
The President of the Republic may be removed through the use of one of two procedures:
- According to the Constitution, the National Assembly may carry out a process of removal from office against the President of the Republic.
- Through a recall referendum, an electoral procedure where citizens decide whether or not to revoke the mandate of an official.
According to the Constitution, in the event that the President resigns, dies or is removed from office, the Prime Minister will exercise his functions on a provisional basis until new elections are called.