Monarchy of Lehmark
|Emperor and Autocrat of Lehmark|
William Lehman I
|Style||His Imperial Majesty|
|Heir presumptive||HRH Archduke, Tyler Hantken, GIOL|
|First monarch||William Lehman I|
|Formation||19 April 2019|
The Monarchy of Lehmark is a constitutional institution and office of the Empire of Lehmark. The Empire of Lehmark includes Lehmark Capital State, Kokoda State and Imperial State of Armstrong.
The powers and role of the Emperor and Autocrat of Lehmark is outlined in the Constitution of Lehmark. However, the Monarch of Lehmark was founded on the principles of absolutism, and, therefore, the Emperor and Autocrat holds extensive legislative, executive and judicial powers, and can therefore also be labelled not only Head of State, but also Head of Government. It could be said that the Empire of Lehmark is, in fact, a constitutional monarchy, because it is a Monarchy functioning under a Constitution, yet this term is primarily applied to parliamentary democracies.
The Emperor and Autocrat of Lehmark is also the Grandmaster of the Grand Imperial Order of Lehmark, the highest order of chivalry in the Empire.
Constitution and Structure
The Empire of Lehmark was founded on 19 April 2019 on the principles of absolutism, which are prescribed in the Constitution of Lehmark. The Constitution provides for a very strong Emperor and Autocrat and under went three major reforms from the Creation of the Empire until the end of June 2019. These reforms were based on:
- Judicial simplification, restructure of the Supreme Court and its responsibilities
- Cleaning up inconsistencies and grey areas
- Rewriting areas of "borrowed" material and ensuring its originality
- Expansion of the Emperor's powers in smaller Imperial Matters
- Limiting the authority of a Regency Council
- Expansion of provisions for Banking and Financial Systems
The Constitution formally bans and prevents the creation of any legislative assemblies, political parties and trade unions. The wording of the those Articles also formally ban and dissolve any legislative assemblies which may have existed at the time. There was none, but it was written as a precaution.
Ultimate inspiration for the form of government came from the Russian Empire and the Byzantine Empire and the autocratic bureaucratic governments they had developed over hundreds of years - this is specially noticeable in the title of the Emperor and Autocrat. However, unlike many micronations or macronations the Empire of Lehmark does not seek to re-create or claim legitimacy from the Roman Empire in this manner.
Powers of the Emperor and Autocrat
Lehmark is classified as a Imperial Autocratic Hereditary Monarchy. However, it can also be argued that Lehmark is a constitutional monarchy for the very fact that the Constitution provides the Monarch with definitions of the powers of office.
The Emperor and Autocrat is also Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Army.
Legislative and Executive Powers
The Emperor and Autocrat has the ability to pass four Legislative Decrees without Veto and these are:
- Ordinary Decree which is any Decree that is not covered by a Financial, Treaty, Title or Constitutional Decree.
- Financial Decree which is a Decree relating to the Annual Government Budget, Changes to Taxation or Tariffs and lowering of remuneration and funding to Government Departments.
- Treaty Decree which is any decree which negotiates:
- Declaration of War.
- Peace Negotiations and Signing.
- Economic Treaties and Sanctions.
- Membership and Withdrawal from International Organisations.
- Title Decree is any Decree relating to the Granting, Revoking and Amending of Nobility Titles and their associated territory.
The Emperor and Autocrat also has the ability to propose a fifth Decree, a Constitutional Decree which is described as any changes to the Constitution, however, the Supreme Court of Lehmark must review these Decrees before they become law and has the power to Veto the Emperor's Decree if it is found to be unconstitutional, harmful to the State or a Citizen. The Constitution also allows the Emperor to override the decree "if deemed necessary for the continuance of a functioning government" at which time the Decree in question will become law ". This is to ensure that the Constitution will never stagnate and is able to change and develop as Lehmark does itself. Although it should be mentioned that
The Emperor and Autocrat has been written as the "Executive of all Government Departments" and delegates particular powers and jurisdictions to each Department's respective Head. This innovation allows the Emperor and Autocrat to remove persons from office as needed and to change the direction of a Department and its policies as needed. As Lehmark grows this will become evermore important as parts of the government expand.
The Emperor and Autocrat has the power to appoint the Chief Justice and Justices of the Supreme Court, usually this would be based on recommendations from the Department of Justice, however the Emperor can ignore these and appoint his own choices. Typically these appointments would be for life, but if deemed necessary the Emperor can remove the Chief Justice or Justice from their position and re-appoint someone else to those positions.
The Chief Justice, has the power to appoint the Civil and Criminal Magistrates of the Supreme Court, again based on recommendations from the Department of Justice, however if the Emperor believes the appointments to be of poor choice, they can be overridden and he can appoint other people to those posts.
As previously mentioned the Emperor can also override the Supreme Court's Veto of a Constitutional Decree "if deemed necessary for the continuance of a functioning government...".
Those are the main Judicial Powers of the Emperor and Autocrat are as follows:
- The Emperor can amend all Decisions and Sentences made by The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, Justices of the Supreme Court, Civil and Criminal Magistrate’s of the Supreme Court.
- The Emperor is allowed to act as an Honorary Justice on any Civil, Criminal or Constitutional Case and therefore can make decisions and sentences, while the sitting Judicial Member is recused.
- The Emperor is the final “Court” of Appeal for all Civil and Criminal cases as the Emperor is the source of all law.
Succession to the Throne
According to the Constitution the Heir to the Empire of Lehmark, is defined as being any legitimate offspring of the Reigning Monarch. In the event that the Monarchs has no legitimate children the Throne will pass to a sibling or other relative, or anyone who has been designated by the previous Monarch. In the event that there is no offspring, no living relative or designated Heir to the Throne then Constitutionally the Empire shall elect a new Emperor/Empress and Autocrat of Lehmark from amongst themselves.
From the wording of the Constitution it is implied that only the nobility may cast a vote for the new Head of State.