2005 in the MicroWiki community
|List of years in the MicroWiki community:|
|2005 • 2006 • 2007|
|History of the MicroWiki community|
|Part of a series on the History of the MicroWiki community|
|2005 in the MicroWiki community|
|Foundation Era: Monsterfurby (27 May) • Dry (June) • Refounding (18 September)|
|Maryland micronations boom • Foundation of MicroWiki • First edit • September influx|
|League of Sovereign Nations|
|Arlberg • Seraya • Beardmonkeya • Tritoniakamia • Umoria|
|Fabian Schneider • Perry • Richard Conklin • Matthew McQuade • Dan|
2005 (MMV)[a] was a common year starting on Saturday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2005th year[b] of the anno Domini (AD) and Common Era (CE) designations, the fifth year of the 3rd millennium and the 21st century, and the sixth year of the 2000s decade. MicroWiki was founded on 27 May 2005, thus making this the first year to see the wiki's – and subsequent community's – presence. The entire year takes place in the "Foundation Era" of the history of the MicroWiki community.
Foundation of MicroWiki
MicroWiki was founded on 27 May 2005 by Fabian Maximilian Schneider (under the username Monsterfurby), then-Prince of the Sovereign Principality of Seraya, as a wiki hosted on the Fandom (then Wikicities) wiki hosting service, at the domain
micronations.wikicities.com. This was in order for Schneider to be able to easily record information on his micronation and other related micronations, such as the Holy Empire of Tritoniakamia and Umoria, which alongside Seraya were member states of the League of Sovereign Nations. MicroWiki purposed itself as "a database of micronations, small nations, created for various purposes, that simulate the proceedings of a real country."
Seraya would however fall into inactivity in the following month, causing Schneider, as well as Richard Conklin and Matthew McQuade, to leave the wiki, resulting in MicroWiki falling into a complete dormancy. Nevertheless, for reasons unrelated to Seraya, MicroWiki started to become active again in early September upon seeing an influx of micronationalists discovering the wiki via the Internet; the most prominent micronationalists being Perry of the United Republic of Arlberg, a micronation founded in 2003, which dominated the remaining year, and Dan of Beardmonkeya, a seemingly jocular micronation founded on 30 September 2005. Other micronations, such as the Carpathian Empire and Virtual Commonwealth of Cyberia, were either inactive or short-lived, having no influence on the wiki.
- c. May: Maryland micronations boom
- 27 May: Foundation of MicroWiki
- June–early September: Dormancy of MicroWiki
- 18 September: Arrival of the United Republic of Arlberg, led by Perry
- 30 September: Foundation of Beardmonkeya by Dan
Notable microntionalists in the MicroWiki community in 2005 included:
|Name / born||Image||Micronation||Role||Span of influence|
|Fabian Maximilian Schneider
(5 December 1988)
|Seraya||Founder of MicroWiki and head administrator||27 May–June 2005|
|Perry||Arlberg||Active MicroWiki editor; Chancellor of the United Republic of Arlberg||c. 18 September 2005–c. 12 May 2006|
(3 August 1988)
|Co-founder of the Sovereign Principality of Seraya; proposed leader of Tritoniakamia||May–June 2005|
|Matthew McQuade|| Seraya
|Co-founder of the Sovereign Principality of Seraya; founder and leader of Umoria||May–June 2005|
|Dan||Beardmonkeya||Founder and Supreme President of Beardmonkeya||September 2005–11 July 2006|
Notable micronations in the MicroWiki community in 2005 included:
|Micronation||Flag||Foundation||Span of influence|
|Sovereign Principality of Seraya||2004||27 May–June 2005|
|Holy Empire of Tritoniakamia||early May 2005||May–June 2005|
|Umoria||12 May 2005||May–June 2005|
|United Republic of Arlberg||2003||c. 18 September 2005–c. 12 May 2006|
|Beardmonkeya||None||30 September 2005||September 2005–11 July 2006|
- List of years in the MicroWiki community
- 2005 (general year article)
- 2004 – the preceding year
- 2006 – the succeeding year
- History of the MicroWiki community
- History of MicroWiki (website)
- Skye, 2020. p. 3.
- Grumel, V. (1958) "La chronologie". Presses universitaires de France. Paris. p. 30. Retrieved 13 February 2022.
- Skye, 2020. p. 5.
- MicroWiki contributors, n.d.. "Foundation Era".
- MicroWiki contributors, n.d.. "Monsterfurby", Foundation Era.
- Parker I, 2010. "Foundation", ch. 1 "The Early Days".
- Skye, 2020. p. 6.
- MicroWiki contributors, n.d.. "Refounding", Foundation Era.
- Skye, 2020. p. 6–7.
- Parker I, 2010. "Carpathian Empire" and "Cyberia", ch. 1 "The Early Days".
- Skye, 2020. p. 7.
- Wikia, 2012. p. 14–15.
- Skye, 2020. p. 5, 7–8.
- Skye, 2020. p. 8.
- Parker I, 2010. "Beardmonkeya", ch. 1 "The Early Days".
- Parker I (24 October 2010) "A History of MicroWiki". (MicroCommons) – MicroCommons.fandom.com. Archived from the original on 26 September 2021.
- Skye, Zabëlle (29 December 2020) "On the Early History of MicroWiki: Influential Micronations and Micronationalists". Indie Books!. London.
- Wikia (18 October 2012) "Micronations A–Z List: Articles from Wikia or Other Free Sources Online". General Books, LLC. Wikia. San Francisco. (Google Books).
- MicroWiki contributors (n.d.) "History of the MicroWiki community" at MicroWiki.