Micronations.wiki costs £160 per year to keep online.
Since we are unable to run advertisements, we ask that any users who are able to do so
make a contribution so that Microwiki may continue to survive and thrive. Thank you!
Starlander Civil War
|Starlander Civil War|
Loyalist Royal Armed Forces
|Commanders and leaders|
HRM King Nik I (until August 11)
The Starlander Civil War was a civil conflict in the Kingdom of Starland that was fought between the Royal Armed Forces and the conservative rebels. The war began after Lady Joy, the King's grandmother, and conservative rebels who were angry over how the government (a Liberal Party majority) was being run. The rebels stormed the Palace in the early morning of August 6, 2010 and captured His Royal Majesty King Nik I and waited for the Royal Senate to convene before arresting the Prime Minister, President, and several sentators. The Senators were all confined to their native provinces while the King, Prime Minister and President hid in nearby Nut Tree Province.
Following the bloodless coup, Lady Joy declared Martial Law, suspended the constitution, and assumed complete and absolute power under the title of "Secretary-General". On the morning of August 7, the loyalists descended on the capital in an attempt to restore the legitimate government to power. After a small skirmish with the rebels, the Royal Armed Forces recaptured the capital and restored the government to power. However, because of the conflict and security concerns within the nation, Starland remained under Martial Law and the constitution remained suspended for an extra day. Under Martial Law, HRM King Nik I excercised complete military power and the Prime Minister and President had complete government power. The Royal Senate was restored soon after but did not meet again until August 13.
The rebels claim they were acting in the best interests of Starland saying that the current government was weak. However, the loyalists claim the government was very much strong and that Lady Joy and the conservatives were acting only for their own selfish interests and power.
Conflict began to arise in July when the Kingdom of Starland began talks with the Union of South London Soviet Socialist Republics and began drafting a non-aggression treaty. Conservative Party members were opposed to this but, nonetheless, the initiative passed but a treaty has yet to be drafted. Other initiatives such as the passing of legal marijuana and universal health care have also been cause for opposition in which conservatives complained that the Royal Government was becoming socialist. After the fall of Erusia, Starland planned to ask if the nation wished to become part of the kingdom as a province or Special Administrative District with Katrina Walters as the appointed leader. This included the potential creation of a socialist worker's party. This would prove to be the last for many conservatives as they began to build up strength over the next week. Lady Joy, who had been a concern by many who claimed she was in search of power, was appointed as the rebel leader.
The first sign of unrest in Starland came when the "Eternal Queen", Queen Star, returned and announced she wished to retake the throne. The King agreed to abdicate but, instead of allowing Her Royal Majesty Princess Faith to be crowned with His Royal Majesty Prince Lance acting as King-Regent, he left the throne to the Star. The Queen then, technically but not officially, took the throne. This caused an uprising forcing the Starland Monarchial Referendum in which HRM King Nik I was "voted" as the legitimate monarch. The "Eternal Queen" returned to exhile and the King returned to the throne.
A new province joined the Kingdom with a new Senator who issued a document that allows citizens of any new province created after March 31 would be eligible for Prime Minister, President, and the Royal Senate. The law passed but enraged a few conservatives and caused the succession of Hart Province. After several days, the situation was resolved and the province returned to Starland rule.
Starland came under fire for their controversial statements and beliefs on communism and forced the Royal Government to exhile the King for three days. Events unfolded in which the Royal Government began to try and make peace with socialist states despite the Erusian Civil War and continuous backlash from Sandus and a verbal conflict with the Union of South London Soviet Socialist Republics. When a non-aggression treaty was proposed and passed by the Liberal Party majority in the Royal Senate, members of the Conservative Party and other conservatives were unmoved. At the end of the month, the Royal Senate passed two laws legalizing marijuana and the other creating universal health care. This again set off many conservatives who claim that the government was becoming socialist and weak.
The Royal Government announced they were prepared to annex the fallen nation of Erusia under Starland rule as either a province or Special Administrative District with Katrina Walters as the regional leader. Because of the communist citizens of Erusia, the Royal Government was prepared to create a socialist worker's party for these citizens in which Robert Lethler would be appointed leader of. This outraged the members of the Conservative Party and forced some non-Senatorial members to take action. On August 6, with Lady Joy as leader, the rebels stormed the capital overthrowing the King and shortly after the Prime Minister and President and arrested members of the Royal Senate and confining them to their native provinces. The following morning, the loyalists engaged the rebels in a small skirmish before retaking the capital. The rebels were captured and tried and convicted for treason. HRM King Nik I abdicated on August 11 and on August 14, a treaty was signed.
Battle of the Gardens
This battle was a small skirmish between the loyalist and rebel troops in Star City, Capital District before the loyalists regained control of the offices of Prime Minister, President and the throne. The loyalists emerged victorious from this engagement and the legitimate government was restored to power.
Trety of Vallejo
The Treaty of Vallejo was signed on August 14, officially ending the conflict after several days of silence. The treaty was expected to be signed on August 10 but a decision was made to wait until Friday, August 13. But yet again, with the King's abdication and the succession of a new monarch, it was pushed off an additional day.
Support for the legitimate Starland Royal Government (Loyalists)
- Democratic Republic of Cliff Island Claimed support for the Royal Government in an email to HRM King Nik I
- United Aspinburghian Principality Both Prime Minister Stephen Paff and HRH Prince Robert claimed support for the legitimate government.
- Dictatorship of Dorzhabad Premier Morris claimed support for HRM King Nik I and the loyalist army stating: "Dorzhabad wishes to conduct talks with the Rebel leader, and hopefully come to a comprimise over this awful buisness."
Support for the Rebel Cause
- Intermicronational Conservative Alliance supports the Rebels, Secretary-General says Starland has done no good in the community, and now it will form into a truly conservative state.
- Secundomia's Foreign Affairs Department has declared support as well.
- Istoria supports the rebel cause, because the Starlander government is being more socialist friendly, & it's legalizing marijuana, & it's even thinking about joining the war.
- The United Provinces Under Chance has changed its views on the civil war. They support the rebels for Starland has attemepted to isolate them with embargos for being an ally with the USLSSR and they called our government opressive.
- People's Republic of Danesland's Department of Foreign Affairs Department took a neutral stance in the conflict stating, "The government of Starland is anti-socialist, and, therefore, anti-Danesland. We are also basing this decision by the popularity of Starland in Danesland, with nearly half of our population disliking the current Starlandian government. We also disagree with the conservative rebels, and their leader." Danesland's Department of Foreign Affairs.
- The Kingdom of Theodia was originally on the side of the rebels, but later found out that it had been misinformed. Theodia now has no real reason to support the rebels and, thus, withdrew its support, thus taking a neutral stance in the conflict.
- The Union of South London Soviet Socialist Republics' government, although having a negitive view of the loyalists after recent events, cannot condone violent uprisings against a government. They however remain neutral because of their past problems with Starland's "loyalist" government.