State of the Fox Islands
State of the Fox Islands
|Anthem: Banks of Quebec|
|Country||Republic of Quebec|
|Established||14 January 2019|
|• Body||House of Fox|
|• President||Aidan McGrath|
|• Governor||Cameron I|
|• Total||9.26 km2 (3.58 sq mi)|
|• Water||0 km2 (0 sq mi) 0%|
|• Density||2.16/km2 (5.6/sq mi)|
|Drives on the||right|
The State of the Fox Islands claims consist of South island, It once claimed all before the Islands Act was drafted. Now the North Island is the Unincorporated Territory of North Fox Island. It is currently governed by the President of the Republic of Quebec, Aidan McGrath and his House of Representatives, and Cameron Koehler serving as Governor. The Government System of the State is similar to Dominions, but with federal law over powering the House of Fox. The Governor is almost like a President, being allowed to pass bills and create laws. It has military protection, but is not independent.
The word Fox comes from the mall-to-medium-sized, omnivorous mammals belonging to several genera of the family Canidae, the definition of Fox is a carnivorous mammal of the dog family with a pointed muzzle and bushy tail, proverbial for its cunning. the word also could stand for "a cunning or sly person".
South Fox Island History
South Fox Island (45.4156°N 85.8463°W) is 13.89 square kilometres (5.36 sq mi; 3,430 acres) in area, and about 5 miles (8.0 km) long and 1.5 miles (2.4 km) wide. As of 2001, David V. Johnson also owned about two-thirds of South Fox. The other third was owned by the state of Michigan, including the two lighthouses on the southern tip of the island. There is no ferry service to South Fox, and it has no docks, fuel or sheltered harbor. However, a private airport with a 5,500-foot (1,700 m) private runway can accommodate jet aircraft.
Two generations of the South Fox Island Light stand at the southern extremity of the island. The first, built in 1867, is a brick house with attached tower; the second, a skeletal tower, is the former Sapelo Island Light, which was moved to the site in 1934. The Fox Island Lighthouse Association (FILA), a non-profit organization, was formed in 2004 to aid in preservation of the light station structures.
Johnson built a paved runway and a residence on the southern island. He had originally proposed swapping North Fox Island with the state for the third of South Fox that he did not own, but he settled in 2003 for a consolidation deal which traded 218 acres (88 ha) of state owned land on the southern part of South Fox for 219 acres (89 ha) on the north and central parts of the same island. This deal was finalized in March 2003.
Mr. Johnson owns 2,204 acres (892 ha) on the isolated 3,400 acres (1,400 ha) Lake Michigan island 25 miles (40 km) west of the Leelanau County coast. South Fox Island boasts some of the most spectacular freshwater maritime scenery in the world, including towering dunes, virgin cedars, and untouched beaches.
The island includes a cemetery where members of the Grand Traverse Band of Native Americans are currently buried.
Deer were introduced onto the island in 1915. Hunting is permitted on state land by permit only.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Fox Islands (Michigan). The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with MicroWiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|