Okay, an explanation as to why I just reverted Jacopo's most recent edit:
- The official emblem should surely have precedence over a proposed official emblem.
- I dispute the assertion that the MPL is "officially" the Club and Lounge. In my opinion the MPL is a group of people, not a micronation run by Fred which he can suddenly decide to rename - if we want to go down the road of him having absolute power over the chatroom as its creator, then fine, but even then that would only mean that such is the "official" name of IV, not of the overall institution which has existed since November 2009.
- As we discussed yesterday and Ando confirmed for me this morning, the MPL IV was never known as the Club and Lounge - that name began to be applied as an alternative to 5 in 2013 after Jacopo made 5 a logo with that name, but we all (and by all I mean a lot more than merely myself, Fred, Jacopo and Ando, so the decisions made then should surely take precedence) decided to keep the original name.
- To be blunt, the Lounge didn't adopt it. Fred and Jacopo did.
Consider the following...
That's a fine point you make sir, but, in the words of Bill Nye, consider the following:
- This doesn't matter massively, and the whole notion of official versus proposed official is petty nonsense at the discretion at the behest of the Proprietor, Grandmaster Fred.
- You can dispute it, but that doesn't give your dispute any merit or weight. In the end, the Masters of any iteration of the MPL has always in the end had overall control.
- To be blunt, it doesn't matter, it's petty nonsense and you're being fairly childish. Moreover, Jacopo is one of the Founding members of the MPL: lecturing Jacopo on "What is the MPL?" is kinda like lecturing Lenin of "What is Marxism?".
If you want to discuss it in the MPL, do so, but please stop editing over Jacopo and leave his edits be. Stop (ab)using your power as admin to give a false conflation of the legitimacy of this: your essential instigation of a pointless edit war. Moreover, the Charter idea was not just Fred and Jacopo just because you weren't there at the time of discussion. Don't try and minimize the agreement of those who were present.
Jon, I think you're making it too much of a big deal.
I understand your views and thank you for the post, but I think there are a few things that should be pointed out: the picture you refer to as the "official emblem" is just a conversation picture (that I found for the room back in 2009, by the way) while the proposed emblem, like the one I also designed in 2009-10, was always considered the eventual "official" emblem of the MPL. This because, when we set up the chatroom years ago, we always thought of it as a mix between a private lounge, a gentlemen's club and the Freemason's/Tammany Hall.
Now, regarding the "Club and Lounge".. back in 2013, I designed the new emblem because, well, the old one just sucked and I had some free time available. I decided to add the "Club" to the name because it gave the emblem a classy and vintage look. When I presented it to the room, we agreed (now I don't remember exactly who) that the name was good and that it would have given the MPL a more professional touch. However, the name remained on the emblem because we always called it "Micropolitan Lounge", though in case we wrote a charter (which we did in the end) it could have been the "formal" name. While the MPL IV never really adopted the formal name, the MPL 5 did for a short time, you're right on that (but because everyone abandoned the MPL IV for a short time), but the logo was designed for the Micropolitan Lounge as a whole, just like the old one that was replaced.
To make it short: I am writing an article over things I've witnessed, created and discussed with others in the past months when I was online. The Charter is not the product of a 48-hour discussion between me and Fred, but rather the product of tons of talks we had but always resulted in nothing constructive being done - this is just the first time we do it.
For the rest, I'm going to have to agree with Jacob. But, I don't think we are editing over each other. What I see is that I'm writing an article and you're changing things. --Cajak (talk) 01:40, 1 September 2014 (BST)
Re: Consider the following...
I was present. Few others were at the time - four or five at the most. If you all agree on this then fine, but I got the distinct impression that Fred and Jacopo had been steaming ahead with changes to one of the oldest institutions in the community without waiting for many people in the MPL to agree to them. No way is attempting to maintain the accuracy of an article an abuse of admin powers - it's actually sort of my job. All I did was ask if we could have a proper discussion about the changes in the MPL before the wiki be edited to reflect them, but it seems like we can't. As the MPL's not part of the wiki, obviously I don't have any authority there, but as a long-term member of the Lounge I just thought it would be the best way to go about it, seeing how a previous discussion on the MPL's name - which had far more people take part - settled on retaining it. Austenasia (talk) 08:01, 1 September 2014 (BST)
- The fact is that nothing is really changing: the members have been aware of the existence of the new emblem since 2013, and as I pointed out before, a charter has been proposed for a long time. I don't remember the exact date, but we're talking about ideas that were discussed and planned in multiple occasions, but never implemented - either because something else was taking place or because we didn't have enough time available. Either way, we are simply recognising a logo as the official emblem of the Lounge and publishing a written set of rules which we've always respected; in the end, nothing is really "changing": the martini glass is still our traditional conversation picture and the usual topics will be discussed when entering the room. The only real difference is that now the distinctive traits of the MPL, which made it MPL what it is today, are written. --Cajak (talk) 12:34, 1 September 2014 (BST)
- BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY! --Dilly Mackey, President of the Commonwealth of Pennsyltucky (talk) 20:33, 6 March 2016 (UTC)
How do I join? --Dilly Mackey, President of the Commonwealth of Pennsyltucky (talk) 20:31, 6 March 2016 (UTC)
- Dilly, I'm afraid that the Micropolitan Lounge is quite hard to get into. There's a vote for whenever a member wants to join. Contact me over Skype (emperornicholai) and I'll try and get you in, but you should probably expect a reply in the negative.