Micronations.wiki costs £160 per year to keep online.
Since we are unable to run advertisements, we ask that any users who are able to do so
make a contribution so that Microwiki may continue to survive and thrive. Thank you!
Social Democratic Party (Mercia)
|Social Democratic Party of Mercia|
|Leader||Earl Kit McCarthy|
|Chair||Count Adam Belcher|
|Founded||22 March 2016|
The Social Democratic Party is a Mercian political party founded by Count Adam Belcher and Earl Kit McCarthy in March 2016. It runs on a platform of social democracy and liberalism, and won two seats in its first election, the May 2016 General Election, allowing the SDP to enter a coalition government. Count Belcher became Deputy First Minister, and Earl McCarthy became Minister of Foreign Affairs.
Founded sometime in March 2016, the SDP is a joint effort between Count Belcher and Earl McCarthy. In the run up to the May 2016 Election Debate, a manifesto was finalised, outlining some basic economic and social policies.
In the May 2016 General Election, the party won two seats in Wibertsherne and Kernollond, and went on to form a six seat majority government with the People's Democratic Party, and Green-Socialist Independent Baron von Uberquie (later part of the Green-Socialist Party). Following negotiations, Belcher became Deputy First Minister, and McCarthy Minister of Foreign Affairs. The SDP held positions in three Cabinet subcommittees.
In early July 2016, Ned Greiner briefly joined the SDP, bringing its membership up to 3, but he defected shortly afterwards to the PDP. On 27 July 2016, the escalating scandal between the leadership of the GUM and the State of Sandus forced McCarthy to leave the MicroWiki community, resigning from all his Mercian offices in the process, including his party membership. With only a single member remaining, the SDP was legally forced to disband. In dissolving the party, Belcher stated that he would become an independent MP, and that he would be prepared to continue to support the coalition government.
The SDP reformed for the March 2018 general election. McCarthy became leader, and Belcher became party chair. Brandon Wu later joined as a third member.
The SDP pledged in their March 2018 manifesto to—
- establish a new Mercian constitution;
- reform Mercian legislation, by repealing and rewriting numerous Acts, and compiling other legislation into a code;
- continue to advocate separation of church and state;
- commit to increased governmental transparency;
- launch a citizenship campaign;
- automatically recognise any micronation;
- never to enter into an intermicronational organisation without a consultative referendum beforehand;
- defend media rights, such as freedom of speech and journalistic privileges, and support a variety of news outlets;
- create a Mercian judiciary and Ministry for Justice;
- create a Mercian intelligence service.
List of Party Leaders
|Leader||Took Office||Left Office|
|Adam Belcher||22 March 2016||27 July 2016|
|Kit McCarthy||24 February 2018|
|Election year||# of overall votes||% of overall vote||# of overall seats won||+/-|
|May 2016||Unknown||18.18%||2||▲ 2|