Vryland Meteorological Office
|Vryland Meteorological Office|
Vryland Meteorologiese Kantoor
|Logo of the Meteorological Office|
|Small logo of the Meteorological Office used on social media|
|Formed||2019; 0 years ago|
|Agency executive||None (Under direction of the Royal Office)|
|Parent agency||Department of the Environment and Natural Resources|
The Vryland Meteorological Office (Afrikaans: Vryland Meteorologiese Kantoor) is Vryland's national weather service. It is an executive agency of the Department of the Environment and Natural Resources. The Meteorological Office makes weather predictions, forecasts, and issues weather alerts.
The Met Office issues weather alerts when severe weather has the potential to impact Vryland. hese warnings are given a colour (green, yellow, orange, red or purple) depending on the severity of the weather event and likelihood of it occuring.
- Green: Green is used for updates regarding previous alerts. If a green alert is issued, it means it is all clear.
- Yellow: Conditions are favourable for bad weather, so be aware.
- Orange: A minor weather event is occuring or will occur, be prepared.
- Red: A severe weather event is occuring or will occur, be prepared.
- Purple: A major weather event is occuring, widespread damage, travel and power disruption and risk to life is likely. Avoid dangerous areas and take emergency action.
The Met Office divides weather alerts into a few different categories:
- Severe Storms
- Winter Storms
- Fire hazards
- Coastal/marine hazards
- Other hazards
|Purple||Severe storms, winter storms, fire hazards, coastal/marine hazards, other hazards||Tornadoes, blizzards, wildfires, tsunamis, hurricanes and public safety alerts.|
|Red||Severe storms, winter storms, flooding, coastal/marine hazards, other hazards||Severe thunderstorms, winter storms, ice storms, flash floods, areal floods, coastal floods, beach hazards, extreme heat, extreme cold and windchill.|
|Orange||Severe storms, winter storms, flooding, coastal/marine hazards, other hazards||Minor thunderstorms, travelling alerts, minor floods, high surf, marine weather statements, wind.|
|Yellow||All||Watches for all weather events.|
|Green||All||The previous alert has been cancelled or has expired, all clear.|