President of Aswington
|President of the Republic of Aswington|
since 29 May 2021
|Term length||Two years, renewable|
|Inaugural holder||Juan Cisneros|
|Formation||20 January 2019|
The President of the Republic of Aswington (Spanish: Presidente de la República de Aswington), colloquially known as the President of Aswington, is the head of state and head of government of the country. The president directs the executive branch of the national government.
According to the Constitution, to be President of the Republic, a person must be a citizen of the republic, must be 16 years old, be a layperson and not be judicially convicted.
The President of the Republic shall be elected through universal, direct and secret elections. He shall serve for a constitutional term of two years and may be reelected for additional terms.
The President of the Republic is the head of state and head of government. Is tasked with representing the country, ensuring the integrity of the constitution, and executing the functions of the state and its laws.
Other duties of the president are, according to the Constitution:
- Oversees the execution of foreign policy, represents Aswington in relations with other nations, negotiates and signs international treaties, appoints and removes ambassadors and other diplomatic representatives of Aswington to foreign countries, with interstate and international organizations, accepts the credentials and letters of recall of diplomatic representatives of foreign countries.
- Being the Supreme Commander of the Aswington Defence Army, he shall issue the orders of general or partial mobilization, its military status and the use of the armed forces.
- Address to the people and to the National Assembly with annual statements on the state of the country's affairs, the basic areas of national and foreign policy of the state.
- Dissolve the National Assembly in strictly necessary cases.
- Establish states of alert, emergency or martial laws in the country, in strictly necessary cases.
- Grant pardons and amnesties.
- Awards state decorations or military ranks.
The President in turn is responsible for his actions according to the Constitution and the law.
The President of the Republic may be removed:
- Through a recall referendum, an electoral procedure where citizens decide whether or not to revoke the mandate of an government official.
According to the Constitution, in the event that the President resigns, dies or is removed from office, the Vice President of the Republic will exercise his functions on a provisional basis until new elections are called. In the event that the Vice President is unable to preside for various reasons, the Speaker of the Parliament shall take the chair.