President of Silofais
|President of the Republic of Silofais|
since 03 June 2017
|Style||The Right Honorable the President of the Republic of Silofais (formal)|
Mr. President (informal)
|Term length||Five years|
|Inaugural holder||Horatio Eden|
|Formation||03 June 2017|
|Term end||20 September 2020|
|Succession||Speaker of the Chamber of Delegates|
The President of the Republic of Silofais is the Head of State of the Republic of Silofais and, in such capacity, is "the guarantor of the Sovereignty, Law and Tranquility" of the nation.
The incumbent is Horatio Eden, serving in the role since its inception on the 3rd of June, 2017.
He is the Chair of the Council of State and the head of the Executive Office of the President.
According to the Constitution, the President...
- Is elected by all citizens for a term of five years.
- Must be thirty-five years of age.
- Must have been a resident for at least fourteen years.
- Must be a natural-born citizen, or must have become a citizen during before 2033.
- At the time of election, must not have served or acted as the President longer than seven of the preceding fifteen years.
Article XXIX allows that, until 2030, a President may be eighteen years of age or older, instead of thirty-five.
Article XXX also requires that the President, between 2020 and 2030, be elected for terms of two years instead of five.
Powers and Duties
According to the Constitution, the President is the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces as well as the highest diplomatic officer of the nation. Among other things, he...
- Leads the foreign policy of the country.
- Appoints the Chief Secretary (who can be removed prematurely only by the Chamber of Delegates).
- Makes treaties with the approval of two thirds of the Senate.
- Presents and adorns awards, honors and titles.
- May veto legislation, though his veto may be overridden by a two-thirds majority in both houses of the National Assembly.
The President is also ex officio the Chairman of the Council of State, the deliberative and advisory body made up of the President, the Chief Secretary, the heads of executive departments, the highest-ranking admirals and generals, and the ambassadors. There they work on matters of state, inform the National Assembly on the state of the State and of the Government, and help to ensure that the President, or at least the Office of the President, fulfills the aforementioned powers and duties vested by the Constitution.
Horatio Eden of the Democratic-Republican Party won office during the Silofaisan Ratification Convention on June 3, 2017, making him the inaugural holder of the presidency. His term, pursuant to a section of Article XXIX, lasts until the year "next divisible by five"; in other words, the next general election for the presidency will happen in 2020.
List of Presidents
|1||Horatio Eden||Eurwest||2017/06/03 - Present||Unity and Progress Party||Elected during the Ratification Convention.|
Opened the first session of the National Assembly.
Co-founded the Unity and Progress Party.