Matthew P. P. Tonna
|Matthew Pio Paul Tonna|
|GCrV GCOMG GGS CDD KCL|
|Portrait of Matthew Tonna|
President of Melite
27 September 2021
18 October 2021
22 December 2021
|Prime Minister||Farhaz Hazarika|
|Predecessor||Dhrubajyoti Roy (as ex-officio Speaker)|
|Born||26 May 2005|
St. Luke's Hospital, Pietà, Malta
|Political party||Christian Nationalist Party (since 2021)|
Potato Party (2019-20)
|National People's Congress (Vishwamitra)|
|Residence||Presidential Palace, Rabat, Malta|
|Alma mater||St. Elias College|
|Service/branch|| Melitian Army|
Major General State
|In service||2021 – present|
|Rank|| Army General of Istria|
Matthew Pio Paul Tonna GSGS GCrV GCOMG GGS CDD KCL GCL MP (Melit., Vish.) (commonly known as Matthew Tonna in Melite and Lord Tonna in Vishwamitra), is a Maltese micronationalist and one of the founding fathers of the Democratic Christian Republic of Melite who is also the current President of Melite, YeLand and its Districts and has been in office since 27 September 2021 after having served in an acting capacity between 1 July and 27 September 2021. Apart from his active role in Melite, he is also the current Speaker of the House of the People of Vishwamitra, the presiding officer of the lower house of the Parliament of Vishwamitra since 22 December 2021.
Birth and personal life
Matthew Tonna was born on 26 May 2005 at St. Luke's Hospital in Pietá, Malta. He is a resident of Rabat, Malta and is the oldest of the two children of his parents. He has a brother who is eight years younger to him and is too young to understand about micronationalism. Tonna is a devout Roman Catholic, a Christian nationalist, and a vexillologist.
Being a fervent Roman Catholic from his childhood, he always leaned towards the right-wing political spectrum favouring Christian Democracy. However since mid-2021, he started sympathizing with Francoism, Falangism and National Catholicism, etc ideologies thus going farther to the right. He is a staunch pro-life advocate as well, and also likes listening to Gregorian Chants with his favourite two chants being "Christus Vincit, Christus Regnat, Christus Imperat", and "Salve Regina".
Matthew Tonna was involved in micronationalism for the first time while pursuing his secondary school education, when during an English class the topic of Sealand and Danny Wallace's BBC Documentary on "How to Start Your Own Country" were brought up. It was then, when along with his classmates André Mifsud and Eman Chetcuti, he took to form the Democratic Christian Republic of Melite in 2019 which was then known as the "Democratic Communist Republic of 11B. He was elected as the President of the nation on 27 September 2021 after serving in a caretaker capacity between 1 July and 27 September 2021. Apart from his role as the President, he is also the Chairman of the Christian Nationalist Party.
Apart from his pro-active role in his founding micronational project of Melite, Matthew Tonna is highly active in the State of Vishwamitra where he serves in several important positions. Tonna was first associated with Vishwamitra in terms of diplomacy between Melite and Vishwamitra but soon became active and opted for citizenship in the nation. He was offered to become the Vishwamitran Ambassador to the Republic of Malta and was formally appointed as the first and current office-holder on 22 October 2021.
After having served as a diplomat for about a month, he took keen interest in the politics and later associated himself with the ruling National People's Congress and was soon made the party's candidate for the by-election to the National List parliamentary constituency of the House of the People which felt vacant with the departure of former opposition leader and now disgraced David Brooke. Matthew Tonna defeated his rival and Social Democratic Party candidate Kaarel Luikmel with a handsome margin of 70-30% of the Kamrupa State citizens' vote and was elected to the Parliament. In a surprising move, he was nominated to serve as the Speaker of the House of the People on 22 December 2021 and was unopposed elect to the position.
Matthew Tonna is currently serving as the first Ambassador of Duckionary to the Republic of Malta since 18 October 2021 and is also the Minister of Media in Pontunia in the cabinet of Chief Minister Alexandre Olivier.
The League of Independent Nations
Tonna applied for his micronation Melite to enter in the League of Independent Nations in the late summer of 2021, when he decided to commit himself fully to micronationalism. He is credited with drafting and proposing the Media Department Act, 2021 which was successfully passed with 6 votes in favour, none against, and only 2 votes of abstention. He is also running for Mediator General, opposing incumbent Tyler Mullins of New Athens, and Alexander I, of Cimbrun.
List of offices
- President of Melite and YeLand (since 27 September 2021)
- Chairman of the Christian Nationalist Party of Melite (since 2021)
- Ambassador of Duckionary to the Republic of Malta (since 18 October 2021)
- Speaker of the House of the People (since 22 December 2021)
- Member of the House of the People (since 22 December 2021)
- Ambassador of Vishwamitra to the Republic of Malta (since 22 October 2021)
- Minister of Media (since 10 November 2021)
- Minister of Territorial Integrity (since 20 December 2021)
- Delegate of the Civil Commission (since 1 January 2022)
- Chairman of the Organization of European Micronations (since 6 December 2021)
- Senator (7 – 11 November 2021)
- Deputy Regent (20 – 21 November 2021)
- Chief Justiciar (acting) (21 – 28 November 2021)
- Vice Chairman of the World Micronational Organization (8 October – 4 December 2021)
|Vishwamitra||Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the Vishwamitra||10 October 2020|
|Istria||Grand Commander of the Order of Saint Michael and Gavril||12 October 2021||GCOMG|
|Realeza||Grand Knight of the Royal Order of Great Realeza||14 October 2021||GGS|
|Istria||Recipient Third Class of the Diplomatic Prize||3 December 2021|
|Obscurium||Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the Dancing Dragon||24 December 2021||CDD|
|Monmark||Knight of the Order of the Crowned Lion||26 December 2021||KCL|
|Vishwamitra||Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of the Lotus||11 January 2022||GCL|
|Recipient of the Bronze Order of Merit of the League of Independent Nations||18 December 2021|
|Personal armorial||Arms as Grand Cross of the Order of the Lotus||Arms as Grand Cross of the Order of the Vishwamitra|
- Media Deparment Act November 6, 2021 - Google Documents
- Short information about the History of the Tonna Surname from a Maltese Heraldry Website - https://araldikamaltija.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/tonna.jpg
- The Order of the Holy Cross of Melite went defunct when the Rewards system was overhauled as per Presidential Decree 05/2021.
- The High Order of the Democratic Christian Republic of Melite went defunct when the Rewards system was overhauled as per Presidential Decree 05/2021.
- The Friendship Ribbon of the Democratic Christian Republic of Melite went defunct when the Rewards system was overhauled as per Presidential Decree 05/2021.