Constitution of the Lemurian Republic
We lost souls, now found, upon this isle of Lemuria; in order to establish Justice, pursue Prosperity, promote the general Tranquility, and secure the Blessing of Liberty for ourselves and our posterity; do hereby ordain and establish this Constitution for the Serene Republic of Lemuria.
The Serene Republic of Lemuria is a parliamentary crowned republic. The Head of State is Doge of Lemuria, who shall also be the High Priest of the Church of Mu, and the Master of the Lemurian College. The Doge shall have the following formal, ceremonial powers:
- Granting assent to all acts and laws enacted by the Parliament of Lemuria.
- Appointing the Prime Mistress.
- Appointing Mistresses of the Republic.
- Granting Honors and Titles.
And any other powers as may be accorded to the Head of State. The Doge is responsible for ensuring the orderly succession of the Crown by naming a heir and successor. If a Doge dies or is rendered incapacitated without a heir and successor being named, the Parliament shall select a new Doge. If the Doge is impeached and found guilty of treason, high crimes or misdemeanors, or dereliction of duty, or is found to be incapacitated or otherwise unfit for office, the Doge shall be removed.
All Legislative power herein shall be invested in a Parliament of Lemuria.
The Parliament of Lemuria shall consist of all members in good standing of the Order of the She-Wolves, referred to hereafter as the Order. The Order shall determine standing within its organization, and the internal governance of the Order, as the members see fit. A majority of the the members in good standing of the Order shall be considered a quorum. The Parliament of Lemuria shall have the power to do the following:
- Raise funds to provide for the common defense and general welfare of the Republic of Lemuria.
- Borrow money on the credit of the Republic of Lemuria.
- Regulate commerce with foreign nations.
- Issue Charters of Tribunal and Defense.
- Declare war, and issue Letters of Marque.
- Calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Republic, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;
- Provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the Service of the Republic of Lemuria.
- Exercise authority over all property purchased by Parliament.
- Make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Republic of Lemuria, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
All executive powers herein shall be invested into the office of Prime Mistress and the Cabinet.
The Prime Mistress shall be selected for a five year term, and must be a member in good standing of the Order of the She-Wolves. If Parliament passes a vote of No Confidence, the Prime Mistress must resign unless the Parliament passes a vote of Confidence within eighteen days. The Doge shall appoint the Mistresses of the Republic that make up the Cabinet, on the advice and counsel of the Prime Mistress. The Doge shall dismiss Mistresses of the Republic within the Cabinet, on the advice and counsel of the Prime Mistress. The powers of the Prime Mistress and the Cabinet are as follows:
- Execute the acts and laws enacted by Parliament.
- Lead the Militia.
- Sign treaties and international agreements.
- Issue Passports.
- Grant Pardons.
All defense of persons and dispute resolutions shall be administered by duly chartered Defense and Tribunal entities, all charters granted by Parliament.
Parliament and the Prime Mistress shall maintain the independence of all defense agencies and tribunals. All acts and laws enacted by Parliament shall be supreme, will override, and must be incorporated into the workings of all duly Chartered Dispute Resolution Agencies. All citizens of the Republic of Lemuria are considered to be duly chartered for the defense of themselves and their property.
All citizens of the Republic of Lemuria are subject to its laws, and are due the protection and services of its Parliament, Prime Mistress and Cabinet, and its duly chartered entities.
Citizenship is granted to:
- Those born within the territory of the Republic of Lemuria.
- Children of a citizen of the Republic of Lemuria.
- Those granted citizenship as an honor by the Doge of the Republic of Lemuria.
The power of the Republic shall be proscribed in the following ways:
1. Parliament shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
2. Parliament shall make no law respecting peaceful voluntary interactions between individual, nor any peaceful voluntary action action individuals do to themselves.
3. The right to bear arms shall not be infringed.
4. The enumeration in this Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
5. The powers not delegated to the Parliament by the Constitution are reserved to the people.
6. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the Republic of Lemuria, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.