m (Text replace - "Peter Bralesford" to "Pierre d'Égtavie")
m (1 revision: Info page import dump)
Revision as of 16:04, 9 November 2013
Publishing on MicroWiki
When you edit, or add some content on the Wiki, regardless of size, is known as an "act of publication". When you contribute to MicroWiki, your action will be displayed, showing your username. Your IP is unlikely to be shown, as only registered members can post and edit articles.
Upon submission of an edit, your username will be recorded along with the information you've submitted. As you've registered to edit something and logged in, only your username will be publicly displayed. It will generally appear in the "Edit history" tab of the article you've edited, on your "Contributions" list, and the "Recent Changes directory. Your IP address will not be shown publicly, and is visible only by the Staff (which obviously doesn't hand it out to random people).
Indeed, for registered editors, the IP addresses of all edits are also recorded in the Recent changes log, but only Administrators have access to these. These IP addresses are not normally made public, although Administrators may post the information on the user talk page in cases where the user has vandalized the site and is suspected of being a repeat offender.
The integrity of a user account is maintained first and foremost by the password protecting it. This password remains the sole domain of the user having created the account, and will not be made publicly available under any circumstance. No Administrator will ever request your password, and because passwords are encrypted into the database, it will remain secret.
Since registering to MicroWiki does not require members to post any form of personally identifiable information, minors under 13 years of age are free to join MicroWiki, unless they're not legally allowed to do so (and unless your parents don't want to). Since we are unable to check edits before their publication, and since this also may lead to the submission of potentially offensive material (which we do not allow), the parent or guardian of each minor is ulimately responsible for their conduct on the Wiki and the Forum, and what they view.
Removal of accounts
The ability to remove user accounts is limited solely to the owner of the site, Pierre d'Égtavie. User accounts will not be removed regardless of their respective activity, and the removal of an account may be denied should a request for such be submitted. An account will only be deleted if its presence constitutes a liability to the integrity of the site, or infringes upon local or national laws.
The MicroWiki server routinely maintains access logs detailing page visits and user-related information. These logs are regularly consulted in order to derive the popularity of, links connected to, and web browser used to access pages on the site. Outside of such, MicroWiki does not make use of the information contained in these logs, save in the following situations:
- In the course of regular technical maintenance.
- In order to investigate abuse of the wiki.
- In order to protect the integrity of MicroWiki or the privacy of its users.
- When given permission by the target user.
The disclosure of information regarding any members or visitor may take place under the following circumstances:
- To protect our site against liability or to prevent fraudulent activity.
- Where it is necessary to limit any damage as a result of vandalism or related activities.
- Where the information is in the public domain.
In any of the above-noted circumstances, public notice of this disclosure will be posted.
In certain circumstances, however, MicroWiki will disclose information related to any member or visitor without their consent where the disclosure of such information may be justified or permitted. Such circumstances include:
- If required to comply with a subpoena, warrant, or order issued by a court of law or body with the jurisdiction to compel the production of said information.
- If we receive a formal request to disclose your information in connection with a legal action; under said circumstances, and if permitted by law, we will attempt to notify you of such prior to responding to the request.
- If we believe in good faith that a law, regulation, rule or guideline requires it.
- If the release of said information will negate the emergency of a situation that threatens the life, health, or security of an identifiable person or group.
Save in the above-noted circumstances, data derived from any source regarding MicroWiki's members or visitors will never be publicly distributed or made available.
Articles on people
It is not strange for many users to publish articles about existing people in their micronation. These sometimes may include birth dates, biographies, or important data about people's lives. Although MicroWiki is not responsible for what is published inside articles on people, we still advise users not to include too much detailed information about people's lives, and to ask for authorisation before publishing any possible data.
Since it already happened that people requested the Staff to remove articles on people, we may delete articles by "Author request", also for privacy reasons. Users who request the Admins to remove an article for privacy must remember that:
- We will not delete them automatically just because you requested us to do so. If we believe that the article is not being a threat to your privacy, we may reserve the right to deny your request. However, we could remove pictures if you feel uncomfortable about them.
- Blanking an article doesn't delete it. That's why it is better to ask us to delete it instead of just blanking the page. Blanking an article will still give people the possibility to see what was there before by looking at the article's history.
MicroWIki is equipped with physical, administrative, and technical safeguards that help us to protect the confidentiality and integrity of the site and information contained therein. All information submitted to the site is maintained, regardless of edits made thereafter to such, and may be recovered at any time by an administrator with the appropriate access. For further information, you may also check our deletion policy which clearly explains how articles are recovered.
Extension to the Forum
The MicroWiki Forum is made publicly available, although registration is required to post and reply to threads. The terms of this policy apply to said forum, insofar as applicable.
Amendments to this policy
This policy may be regularly updated to encompass new aspects of the site, or supplemented to better accommodate the privacy of our members. For this reason, we urge our members and visitors to regularly consult this notice for changes. Continued access or use of this website thereafter shall constitute an express acceptance of any modifications.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this policy, or the privacy practices of MicroWiki, please contact an Administrator via their respective contact page, or through the Community Portal. If you fail to receive acknowledgment of your inquiry, or your inquiry has not been satisfactorily addressed, notice of such should be posted on the Forum's Assembly.
|General information: Disclaimer • Copyrights • Manual of Style • Basic rules of editing|
|User roles: Administrators • Nocats|
|Guidelines: Good articles • Featured pictures • Article message boxes • Talk pages • User talk pages|