Micronations.wiki costs £160 per year to keep online.
Since we are unable to run advertisements, we ask that any users who are able to do so
make a contribution so that Microwiki may continue to survive and thrive. Thank you!
Foreign relations of Esse
|This article has no relevant categories. Please help MicroWiki by adding a category to this page and removing this template.|
The foreign relations of the Essian Commonwealth are led through its Ministry of Foreign Affairs, originally established in 2015 as the Association for the Establishment, Maintenance, and Moderation of Foreign Relations and Policy. Despite this, the authority to approve recognition, or for that matter any treaty, is left up to the Monarchy unless otherwise delegated.
The Essian Commonwealth is the last remaining independent state in the Clementine Sector, and is one of three micronations currently claiming land in said Sector. As a break-off pressure group of the Federated States of America, the Essian Commonwealth draws its history and several formal and informal diplomatic ties from the relationships of its predecessor. Esse is a member of the Union Against Micronational War and the Grand Unified Micronational.
- 1 Sovereignty disputes
- 2 Recognized nations
- 3 Europe
- The United States of America is the only internationally recognized state to publicly dispute Essian claims, as it claims the land all Counties, Hundreds, and Ridings in the Commonwealth reside.
- The Swiss Confederation lays claim to the town of Äuli, the original claim of the Commonwealth of Esse.
Nations which are protected states of Esse
- Sovereign Military Order of Esse, since 1 June 2015
- Palatinate of Uberquiesenberg, since 25 May 2017
- Republic of Galveston, since 29 June 2017
Nations with which Esse has signed a treaty of mutual recognition
- State of Koss, since 11 February 2017
- Abeldane Empire, since 18 February 2017
- Democratic Environmental Society of Senya, since 18 February 2017
- Empire of Paravia, since 18 February 2017
- Republic of Mcarthia, since 19 February 2017
- Democratic Union of British States, since 10 March 2017
- Kingdom of Breckland, since 1 May 2017
- Mercia, since 23 May 2017
- Palatinate of Uberquiesenberg, since 25 May 2017
- Karnia-Ruthenia, since 27 May 2017
- Shorewellese Empire, since 5 June 2017
- Kingdom of Sabia and Verona, since 6 June 2017
- Ashukov Federation, since 11 June 2017
Other nations which Esse recognises
(Bold text signifies that official recognition is mutual)
- All member states of the United Nations since 3 June 2015, reaffirmed 24 May 2017
- Vatican City State, since 3 June 2015
- Principality of Sealand, since 3 June 2015
- Empire of Austenasia, since 3 June 2015
- Kingdom of Trebia, since 3 June 2015
- Independent Province of Mancunia, since 3 June 2015
- Mercia (later replaced with a mutual recognition treaty), since 3 June 2015
- Republic of Mcarthia (later replaced with a mutual recognition treaty), since 3 June 2015
- Usian Republic, since 3 June 2015
- Empire of Quailia, since 3 June 2015
- Imperial Federation of Zenrax, since 30 June 2015
- Principality of Beacon City, since 10 March 2017
Nations which Esse formerly recognized
(Bold text signifies that official recognition was mutual)
- Galveston: De facto mutual recognition since the establishment of the Republic of Galveston, recognition terminated upon the Republic's cession to the Empire of Paravia.
- Bromenia: Recognized by Esse in the Lord Protector's original foreign policy edict. Recognition terminated upon the dissolution of the People's Republic of Bromenia.
- Lowcountry: Recognized by Esse in the original foreign policy edicts. Relations terminated upon the dissolution of the Duchy.
- Ruthenia: Was recognized by Esse and negotiations for a treaty went underway. Relationship went inactive and recognition was considered terminated upon Ruthenia's merger with the Empire of Karnia.
- Nedland: Recognized and de facto mutually recognized on 30 June 2015. Relations were terminated upon the dissolution of Nedland. Relations resumed with mutual recognition on 16 February 2017 until said treaty was once again terminated upon Nedland's integration into the Confederation of Mahuset.
- Stravinia: Recognized mutually by way of Treaty of Mutual recognition in May 2017. Relations became cordial between the states and there respective leaders before the dissolution of the Federal Republic in June 2017.
N.B. - Transcontinental nations are listed under the continent in which their capital is located.
Esse and the Principality of Beacon City officially exchanged recognition on 10 March 2017, though the relationship between the two states began long before then. The personal relationship between heads of state Lord Henry and James Reginald Frisch developed significantly in the citizenry of Mercia where both heads of state served as members of Parliament. Frisch - in the days leading up to recognition - had become a citizen of the Commonwealth, and 10 days after the treaty Frisch was appointed Heaminister of the Essian Commonwealth. By this same token, both heads of state serve as moderators in the Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Skype chat.
Esse and Breckland had brief contacts throughout 2016 in both the Grand Unified Micronational and Abeldane Empire. After Breckland was reformed into a communist dictatorship, the state's long-time leader John Gordon engaged in the Breckland-Lundenwic Cold War, primarily a war of words between Gordon and Mike Lewis, the fascist leader of Lundenwic. After intensified words in several threads on the MicroWiki forum, Lord Henry - a forum admin - closed the threads, leading to a brief Skype conversation with Gordon. The Treaty proposal narrowly passed in the Parliassam, and the treaty was signed on 1 May 2017.
Democratic Union of British States
The heads of state of the two nations in question - Lord Henry and Horatio Eden - had been on friendly terms for nearly one year before negotiations establishing friendly relations between Esse and the Democratic Union of British States. Previously, Lord President Eden had presided over land in the Clementine sector as Lord Executor of the Realms of Valdsland, and had in addition served as Speaker of the House of Representatives of the United States of Wings. The mutual recognition treaty was signed on 10 March 2017, after several weeks of discussion on the matter. Eden has since been appointed Chief Attorney of the Essian Commonwealth, and acted in this duty in the famous Beiwing hearings.
Esse formally recognized the Republic of Mcarthia in the initial 3 June 2015 diplomacy edict. However, shortly after this edict Mcarthia went into a state of dormancy after its President, Kit McCarthy, took a hiatus from micronationalism. Therefore, the Commonwealth was never able to successfully make contact with the Mcarthian government to formalize mutual recognition. Once McCarthy returned to the micronational community, Esse was then in a state of dormancy. After the two heads of state held bitter relations for a bulk of 2016, they became friendlier after McCarthy's second hiatus and return in the later parts of the year, by 2017 having normalized their personal relationship. Following the Essian Declaration of Restoration, Mcarthia was contacted and the old status was swapped for a Mutual Recognition Treaty on 19 February 2017.
Mercia was first contacted by the Essian Commonwealth on 3 June 2015, upon Esse recognizing Mercia. At the time Mercia was a member of the Würtige Empire, however His Lordship Richard I negotiated with then-Lord Protector Clement regarding a mutual recognition. A treaty was never signed. In 2016, when Lord Henry was a citizen of Mercia, he and the Mercian government agreed to the 28th of August Treaty of Essian Concession, which made Esse a colony of Mercia. There Esse remained for nearly exactly five months before most of the Domain of Esse broke off to reform the Commonwealth. Mercia - at the time dormant - was unable to sign a treaty until May 23, when the Mercian Emergency Cabinet approved the Treaty of Mutual Recognition after nearly two years in the works.
Esse and Mercia also jointly hold differing degrees of authority over the Democratic Confederation of the Palatinate of Uberquiesenberg, Esse militarily protecting Uberquiesenberg with Mercia politically holding the Palatinate as a concession.
Esse and the Empire of Paravia did not have any contact until the reformations, however the heads of state had met and become acquainted several months before that. Lord Henry acted as an adviser during the negotiations of the Treaty of Nyros, and became involved as a diplomat to the Empire once the Republic of Galveston - a nation of the Clementine sector - signed the Treaty and became a federal state of Paravia. Henry wrote and signed (on behalf of the former) a mutual recognition agreement between the State of Koss and Paravia, and became the Kossian Ambassador to Paravia until his citizenship in Koss was revoked. A mutual recognition treaty was signed with Esse on 18 February 2017.
When Galvestonian President Brandon Wu was declared to be indefinitely inactive, Lord Henry proposed and was appointed Acting President of the State of Galveston, a position he continues to serve in. Negotiations between Esse and Paravia regarding military protection of Galveston are currently underway, though said discussions are in their infancy as of 24 May 2017.
Contact between the Essian Monarch and Newton von Uberquie began through common citizenship in Mercia. Both Uberquiesenberg and Esse became Mercian colonies within a period of several weeks of one another, with the Essian colonial treaty being largely modeled on that of Uberquiesenberg. The two grew contacts during the vote of no confidence against then-First Minister Alejandro Whyatt. In 2017, the personal relationship between Henry and von Uberquie grew quickly in the first half of 2017, with the Mercian emergency government placing von Uberquie and Henry working together as First Minister and Deputy First Minister, respectively. In the same time period, Henry successfully nominated von Uberquie for his Vice Chair of the Grand Unified Micronational.
Henry and von Uberquie's personal friendship led to several political agreements being reached between the two stats. Esse and Mercia jointly hold differing degrees of authority over Uberquiesenberg, Esse militarily protecting Uberquiesenberg with Mercia politically holding the Palatinate as a concession. The County of New Halyards is also jointly administered between the two states.