Edit War, also known as Edit Warfare or Edit Warring is a form of micronational conflict most commonly utilized within the MicroWiki Sector. This form of conflict occurs when two or more conflicting micronations or individuals engage in mass edits of "enemy" MicroWiki page(s). This practice is consistent with vandalism though the two share several distinct differences, the most notable being that while vandalism can be targeted, it is most often a form of "trolling". However, Edit Warfare is when the offending nation's government not only condones the editing but actively uses it as a way to defeat their opponent(s).
The practice is most seen in situations that include (but are not limited to) disputed land claims, jurisdiction, and titles. While providing no physical harm in terms of loss of territory or resources, the action is detrimental to the nation which is a recipient of such an attack. Through editing a wiki page or another reference by adding or taking information, confusion is caused to those trying to learn more about the said nation, thus deterring any interest in it. It is also considered by many within the community to be very annoying.
The practice of Edit Warfare is highly discouraged and frowned upon within the micronational community, however, it still remains a somewhat common practice.
A few of the notable and ongoing edit wars:
- The 'RIS War', over whether the State of Gradonia page would include the RIS 002 code assigned to it in the infobox.
- The 'Horrible War', over whether the page on Aidan I of Quebec would hold the title "Horrible" in the infobox.
- The 'Sir War', over whether John Timpson should have the title 'Sir John Timpson' in the Kingdom of Baustralia infobox.
- The 'Mangolian War', over disputed territory between the Repubblica di Mangolia and a coalition of several micronations (notably: Phokland, New Vinland, Iustus, Jasooper, Free American Empire and, Lanzantonia). The war demonstrated one of the few instances in which an Edit War succeed in it's goal with Mangolia capitulating in mid 2018 and subsequently being re-constituted into the Republic of South Mangolia until dissolution later that year.
- The Ela'r'oech Monarchy Power Dispute is an ongoing civil dispute in Ela'r'oech where an edit war was prevented when the Ela'r'oech MicroWiki page was locked and could not be edited by regular users.