Dominion of British West Florida
| Dominion of British West Florida |
Self-proclaimed British commonwealth
Dieu et mon droit
(French: God and my right)
God Save the Queen
| British West Florida in 1767 |
|Short name||British West Florida|
|- Monarch||Queen Elizabeth II|
|Established||29 November 2005|
The Dominion of British West Florida is a separatist micronation founded in 2005 "on an eccentric interpretation of actual historic events" and based in the Gulf coast region of the United States. It claims the territory of the 18th-century colony of West Florida, which has since been subsumed into the US states of Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
The Dominion claims to be "striving for Dominion Status as a Commonwealth Realm, on a par with Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Antigua and Barbuda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, and The Bahamas." The organization is neither acknowledged by any government nor exercises any authority over its claimed territory, and its activities are largely limited to the internet.
Claim to sovereignty
The claim of the right to sovereignty is based on a complicated chain of historical events:
- The Treaty of Versailles of 1783 granted the Territory of Florida (The British colonies of East and West Florida) to the Spanish King, who was deposed by Napoleon, leaving no rightful successor to claim the territory.
- The Treaty of Transfer of Florida to France signed by the Spanish prohibited Third party transfer of the Territory  and the territory claimed by the Dominion of British West Florida was not included in the transfer.
- The annexation of West Florida by Presidential Proclamation, without the usual and required Congressional and Territory actions, was invalid under the United States Constitution, and international law.
- The Dominion of British West Florida Micronation's home page
- Loblolly Writers House Historical setting of British West Florida (1763-1783)
- University of Florida 'Readings' University of Florida History Reading on British West Florida as a PDF
- Report on the Use of US Forces Abroad U.S. Navy site listing the use of Force in 'Spanish Florida'
- The Dominion of British West Florida and Tips for Creating an American Separatist Cause