Micronations.wiki costs £160 per year to keep online. Since we are unable to run advertisements, we ask that any users who are able and willing to do so make a contribution towards the site's costs so that we may continue to survive and thrive. Thank you!
|This article or section is in the middle of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this articlehas not been edited in several days, please remove this template.|
|This article contains out-of-date information or information about an entity that is currently undergoing major changes.|
|King of New Wessex|
Arms of His Majesty The King of New Wessex
Declan I, II & V
|Heir apparent:||Prince Ciaran|
|First monarch:||Declan I|
|Formation:||1 May 2002 (South Bank)|
14 January 2012 (New Wessex)
The monarchy of the United Kingdom of New Wessex (commonly referred to as the Wessaxon monarchy) is the absolute monarchy ruling over the United Kingdom of New Wessex. The present monarch, King Declan I, II & V, has been monarch of the New Wessex and its predecessor states since 1 May 2002 with an interruption of only one week in the summer of 2006.
The official title of the King is King of New Wessex. The ceremonial full title, used only in the full style of the monarch, is King of New Wessex, King of Wilcsland, Taklamacan, the Midway Hills, Frozen Alters and Corran, King of Thebes.
The King undertakes various official, ceremonial and representational duties. As an absolute monarch, the King holds absolute power over all executive, legislative, and judicial matters.
The King is the main representative of New Wessex in foreign affairs, and holds total control over all domestic governance. The King has the power to appoint members of government, and bestow and revoke titles of nobility.
Despite the power that the King has over the nation, it is clear that he only holds it through the will of the people. Declan I has said "my people are my care" and "I work for you, not you for me". Although absolute, the Wessaxon monarchy is also a popular one. A good example of how the Wessaxon population ultimately holds more political power than the monarch is when, in November 2010, Moylurg transitioned into Wilcsland - King Jonathan I, titular joint King of Moylurg, was not deposed by King Declan I as they held nominally equal power; instead, Jonathan I was deposed by an assembly of the people who were displeased at having a foreigner share the rank and title of Declan I.
The Wessaxon monarchy was created as a political union between the Kingdom of Wilcsland and the then Wilcslandian-dominated Orly, the two countries entering into political union on 14 January 2012, and so its history can only be understood through tracing the monarchies of those two nations.
The Wilcslandian monarchy traces its origins from the monarchies of the Kingdom of South Bank, the Kingdom of Corran, and the Kingdom of Moylurg. South Bank, founded in May 2002, transitioned into the Kingdom of Atlantis in September 2003, and then in October 2005 transitioned into the Kingdom of the Taklamacan. The Kingdom of Corran was created by the King of the Taklamacan in late 2007, and the Kingdom of Moylurg in June 2009. The Taklamacan unified with Moylurg and Corran in March 2010 to create the Empire of Moylurg - for roughly a month, the monarch held the title of Emperor instead of King, but in April 2010 the Empire transitioned back into a Kingdom. This unifed Kingdom then transitioned into the present-day Kingdom of Wilcsland in November 2010.
The Orlian monarchy was founded on 4 July 2010 by Caesar Calum with authorisation from the then Western Emperor. It split into two separate monarchies later that month, those of the Grove and Copan, but reunified in December later that year as the Tsardom of Orly when the King of Copan, Declan I, assumed the throne of the Grove as Regent and prolaimed a reunion between the two nations. Due to Declan I living so far away from Orly, and to prevent native rebellion against his rule, he was forced to rule it (Copan, the Tsardom, and the present day constituent country of New Wessex) through a Viceroy, the then Crown Prince Jonathan of Austenasia, and to frequently appoint native vassal monarchs as local deputies.
The King of New Wessex has also held the thrones of several other realms and nations, holding these thrones in either political or personal union (often with very little practical difference). The kingdoms of Saqqara and Thebes were sub-kingdoms of the Wilcslandian monarchy since Saqqara was founded by and Thebes was conquered by the Kingdom of Atlantis in late 2003 - with the founding of New Wessex in January 2012, Thebes was abolished as a subkingdom and fully merged into Wilcsland, with the same happening to Saqqara around June 2013.
All of the Carshalton Nations were under the rule of the Wessaxon monarch between December 2010 and January 2013 - Declan I took advantage of an interregnum in the Kingdom of the Grove to unify it with Copan, founding the Tsardom of Orly and provoking the Carshaltonian overlord, Emperor Esmond III of Austenasia, into starting the War of the Orlian Reunification. A local nation allied with Orly, the Midget Nation-in-Exile, declared Declan I to be the Fifth Midget Master upon the instigation of the then Crown Prince Jonathan, entering the Midget Nation into personal union with Wilcsland. With the support of the Midgets and the orchestration of the Crown Prince, the forces of Declan I were able to defeat those of Esmond III, and Declan I was declared joint Emperor of Austenasia and King of Rushymia. He lost these titles, however, when he abdicated from the Austenasian Throne on 20 January 2013.
On 24 June 2013, Orly seceded from New Wessex in an event known as the Liberation of Orly. No longer Emperor, the Orlian population no longer had a reason to respect the authority of Declan I and so turned to his successor, Emperor Jonathan I, to appoint native monarchs under Austenasian suzerainty as had been the original practice. Declan I abandoned any claims to sovereignty over Orly and relinquished his claim to the title "King of Orly" after being persuaded that there was no support for his reign there to continue.
Another notable instance of the influence of the Wessaxon monarchy spreading abroad is when the leader of the Kingdom of Etarnia asked for Declan I to become their monarch. Despite a long period of no contact during which he continued to claim the title King of Etarnia, Declan I, II & V became monarch of Etarnia's successor state, Ctoria, in May 2011 until it collapsed in October later that year.
It has never been entirely clear to whom the numerous thrones of Declan I will pass to, and how, after his death or abdication. The only other two monarchs to have fully held a Wessaxon throne were Joshua I of the Taklamacan for a week in 2006 and Jonathan I of Moylurg in late 2010. The former of these deposed Declan I by force, and was in turn deposed by Declan I by force, and the latter was raised to an equal rank by Declan I and then later deposed by the Wilcslandian people, and so neither of these transfers of the throne can be used as a precedent.
Declan I has often referred to his brother, Prince Ciaran, as heir, even giving him the throne of Thebes for a few months in early 2010 to "practice" being a monarch. It has therefore been assumed that succession is governed by male-preference cognatic primogeniture, as in most European monarchies.
However, after giving Prince Ciaran the throne of Thebes in March 2010, Declan I removed it from him in early May later that year, giving his supposed incompetence at ruling as the reason for doing so. At the time, Declan I himself said that Ciaran "might not become Moylurg's next monarch". Indeed, when Declan I threatened to abdicate the following month, he named the then Crown Prince Jonathan his heir in his instrument of abdication (which was never signed and evenutally discarded). Ciaran was made King-Regent of Wilcsland in February 2011 - despite this latest short reign only spanning the better part of two days, this may show that Declan I has begun to trust his brother more with the running of the nation. His position as presumed heir apparent was also reinforced by the granting of the title Prince of Copan to him by Declan I in January 2012, after stating that the title would be used to designate his heir.
Co-monarchs, usurpers, and vassal monarchs
There have been several usurpers during the reign of Declan I, and he has also appointed many vassal and co-monarchs. King-Regents and Queen-Regents are co-rulers that, while sharing the royal style and powers of Declan I, are titularly subservient to him and may be deposed by him at any time. The only co-monarch to have had nominally equal power to Declan I was Jonathan I, who was only ever referred to as "King" and not "King-Regent" - although his power was titular, he had to be deposed by an assembly of the people rather than Declan I. Co-monarchs are referred to as "King/Queen-Regent" because of a spelling mistake made upon the appointment of Frances I - the title "Queen Regnant" was intended, to specify that she was an actual monarch and not the consort of Declan I.
Those who Declan I has raised to the throne alongside him:
- Frances I, Empress-Regent of Deleckshum and Queen-Regent of Moylurg: 10 July 2009 (Deleckshum)/11 September 2009 (Moylurg) - 13 October 2009
- Laura I, Queen-Regent of Moylurg and Queen-Regent of Corran: 9 February 2010 - 7 March 2010 (Corran)/1 May 2010 (Moylurg)
- Jonathan I, King of Moylurg: 19 October 2010 - 10 November 2010
- Frances I/Arsinoe I Selene, Queen-Regent of Wilcsland: 17 November 2010 - 15 February 2011
- Ptolemy II Alexander II, King-Regent of Wilcsland: 15 - 16 February 2011
- Berenice I, Queen-Regent of Wilcsland: 16 February 2011
- Arsinoe II Cleopatra I, Queen-Regent of Wilcsland: 16 - 21 February 2011
- Ptolemy III Helios II, King-Regent of Wilcsland: 21 February 2011 - 12 March 2011
- Arsinoe III, Queen-Regent of Wilcsland: 27 - 31 August 2011
Those who have proclaimed themselves monarch and attempted to overthrow Declan I:
- Barry I of South Bank: Took over the northern half of South Bank during June 2002. Defeated in a civil war.
- Alexander I of the Taklamacan: Seized control over half of the Taklamacan for a short period of time in late 2005. Rebellion crushed.
- Pope Alexander I: Led a conspiracy to become monarch in late 2005, and attempted to take over the Taklamacan in early 2010. Arrested for treason both times before he could seize power.
- Joshua I of the Taklamacan: The only monarch to have ever successfully deposed Declan I. Held the throne for a week of chaos before being overthrown.
- Joshua II of the Taklamacan: Took over half of the Taklamacan for a short period of time in early 2007. Surrendered after a brief civil war.
Those who have ruled over the sub-kingdoms and vassal monarchies of New Wessex:
- John I, King of Saqqara: October - November 2003, ruled over Saqqara as a vassal to the King of Atlantis.
- Unknown monarch(s) of Corran: Late 2007 - October 2009, ruled over Corran as a vassal to the King of the Taklamacan.
- Ciaran II & III, King of Thebes: 5 March 2010 - 1 May 2010, ruled over Thebes as a vassal of the King/Emperor of Moylurg.
- Declan I, Tsar of Orly: 8 December 2010 - 14 January 2012, ruled over Orly, technically as a vassal to himself as King of Wilcsland.
- Frances I, Tsarina of Orly: 8 December 2010 - 15 February 2011, ruled over Orly as a vassal to the King of Wilcsland.
- James I & IV, King of Thebes: 18 December 2010 - 10 February 2011, ruled over Thebes as a vassal of the King of Wilcsland.
- Calum I, King of the Grove: 13 January 2011 - 14 January 2012, ruled over the Grove under the Viceroy of Orly and as a vassal to the Tsar of Orly (himself a vassal of the King of Wilcsland).
- Ptolemy I Alexander, Tsar of Orly: 15 - 16 February 2011, ruled over Orly as a vassal to the King of Wilcsland.
- Berenice I, Tsarina of Orly: 16 February 2011, ruled over Orly as a vassal to the King of Wilcsland.
- Arsinoe I Cleopatra, Tsarina of Orly: 16 - 21 February 2011, ruled over Orly as a vassal to the King of Wilcsland.
- Ptolemy II Helios, Tsar of Orly: 21 February 2011 - 12 March 2011, ruled over Orly as a vassal to the King of Wilcsland.
- Miles, Prince of Copan: 8 March 2011 - 24 April 2011, ruled over Copan under the Viceroy of Orly and as a vassal to the Tsar of Orly (himself a vassal of the King of Wilcsland).
- Joseph, Prince of Copan: 24 April 2011 - 2 August 2011, ruled over Copan under the Viceroy of Orly and as a vassal to the Tsar of Orly (himself a vassal of the King of Wilcsland).
- Esmond, Prince of Copan: 2 August 2011 - 14 January 2012, rules over Copan under the Viceroy of Orly and as a vassal to the Tsar of Orly (himself a vassal of the King of Wilcsland).
- Arsinoe II, Tsarina of Orly: 27 - 31 August 2011, ruled over Orly as a vassal to the King of Wilcsland.
- Ptolemy IV, King of Saqqara: 19 September 2011 - 24 June 2013, rules over Saqqara as a vassal to the King of Wilcsland.
The Royal Standard of New Wessex is the flag used by the King or Queen in their capacity as monarch.
The Royal Standard depicts the central part of the Wessaxon coat of arms - that is, four quadrants, depicting in the first and fourth quarters a lion rampant (the national animal, and to represent the English origins of New Wessex) and depicting in the second and third quarters a Cláirseach (Irish harp) to represent the Irish heritage of the House of Mac Donnchadha-Houghton.
|United Kingdom of New Wessex|